Ipad will only sync and fetch when app is launch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamesberryjames, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jamesberryjames macrumors newbie

I've been using a few android devices (phones and tables) for a couple of years now. Many android apps come with an auto sync feature or alert which fetches information and alerts while app is closed. For instance, RSS apps can be set to fetch new feeds immediately and notify you. News apps like CNN can send a notification when there is breaking news or any type of news depending how you set it up. Apps on the Iphone has this ability too if am not mistaken.

To my big surprise, all apps on the ipad need to be launch before they sync and fetch. Which means you don't get no notification. Nothing can be synced in realtime. Even third party calender apps need to be launch on order to retrieve events from a online calender like Google. Am I missing something? If this is true then I'll need to sell my Ipad as fast as possible as it would be very useless for me.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Unless the app developer specifically programs the app to use the limited multitasking API'S than yes this is true. Guess your iPad is useless time to sell it.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not quite true. As the previous poster noted, a developer has to specifically program an app to fetch information and notify you if it is not running. And you, in turn, must authorize "notification" when you install the app. (You'll be asked about this when you first use a new app that makes use of the feature.)

For example, my outlook calendar on my home system automatically updates my google calendar and the latter automatically updates the calendar on my iPad (along with customary notifications prior to an appointment.)

You are certainly correct that background processing and notifications on the iPad are more limited than in the Android environment. IMO, Apple does this purposely to prevent overloading the processing power of the iPad that lead to unexpected lags in performance that are common among less powerful Android devices.

Having said that, however, I have not found the limitations to be crippling (and I'm a long time Android user). The CNN app, for example, sends me unsolicited news alerts and, as noted above, my iPad calendar remains synchronized with my Google calendar. (Other apps, by the way, enable other synchronization features with Google tasks.)

Frankly, I can't tell you if the iPad supports unsolicited notifications for sms messages, twitter, facebook, etc. But I suspect that it does if you use an appropriate app to access those services.

4. jamesberryjames thread starter macrumors newbie

Most apps I have run on both platforms. For instance, pocket informant has the option to automatically sync with my goolge account. If i create a new event directly in google it will sync immediately on my pocket informant app on the android device. however, it will only only sync with my pocket informant on the ipad when i launch the app even though automatic sync at every 5 minutes is on. The iPad stock calendar however enables realtime sync. Another example is is with rss apps. On my android device I use greader as app. This app fetches automatically my feeds which I opted for. It notifies me when they are downloaded. On my iPad I'm using byline, feeddler & mobilerss. All of them do have the option to automatic sync but they only do that when you launch the app.

For me this is a pain since I have the wifi version. I need to pretty much all apps before leaving in order to get the latest updates. At the same token, mail and calendar do have realtime sync.

Don't get me wrong. I really love the iPad, but coming from android, I'm just used to having apps in constant sync.