iPad wireless 3G plan for NON-us citizen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by scruch, Jun 24, 2010.

1. scruch macrumors member

scruch

Hello dear Friends,
    Tomorrow I've the flight for San Francisco, I'll stay in the valley for 2 months. So I gonna buy the day after tomorrow an ipad 3G , I need to know if for activating the 3G plan it is needed to have a US-citizenship or some special documents ?!? I've only my european passport.

Another question: are the ipads available ? or it is already difficult to find one? if i go to an apple store.. i'll find my ipad? =)

thank you a lot bye bye

2. matthewr macrumors member

All you need is a credit card with a US billing address. The easiest way to do this is get a prepaid credit card (most drug stores have them in 25 and 50 dollar amounts) and use the address of where you are staying. You don't even need to setup a billing address for the credit card itself, just enter it when you activate 3G. I was just in San Francisco last week and it worked fine for me ( traveling from Canada)

3. scruch thread starter macrumors member

scruch

perfect!!!
    thank you also for the advice.. btw I've an american credit card too . So that's not a problem.
    Perfect i'll enjoy the ipad3G at&t experiences very soon :p

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

As for finding one that's a different story. You might need to put yourself on a waiting list and wait a bit for it. Good luck though!!!

5. scruch thread starter macrumors member

scruch

no way! .....in all the apple store of the valley ? a little how much ? =) half day ? a day ? a couple of day ? a week?

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Getting faster.... i'd say less than a week given what people were posting i read last. But yes, reserve at an Apple Store and check the best buys. but don't expect to walk in and just buy one.

7. scruch thread starter macrumors member

scruch

thank you for the precious advices that I'll follow!
    Here in italy ipads are available in the local apple store, but I was waiting to buy it not very for the good exchange rate euro/usd, but more for the ATeT data card, that as you explained me it is very fast and easy to activate.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You can buy the AT&T micro sim at the AT&T store for $15, so if you can get the iPad there easily i'd grab it before you head this way. Since they are unlocked everywhere but Japan, you will just be able to pop it in when you get here and use the same steps to sign up!

9. scruch thread starter macrumors member

scruch

and they'll not ask me for special US-documents in the AT&T store? interesting. thank you! if i've time tomorrow before flight i go to pick up it here !

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I haven't seen any reports of them asking for anything at all!

Safe travels and enjoy your time out West!! (i'm a California Native :D)

11. scruch thread starter macrumors member

scruch

Ve

Hello dear friends,
    I've bought an 64gb 3G iPad actually the last one of the San Mateo apple store...
    I'm writingnto you with then new iPad

But I'm not able to activate the data plan at e t
    He say me " billing addressninformation error"
    Buoy vie putted my us addresss and used an American card ( maybe with not an American billing address )

IVe also asked tonthe genius for assistance but they were unable to help me
    Now I try to go in a at e t store.
    Btw were I can find prepaid credit cards??

If anyone ofnyou can help me ( I can also receive p.m. ) .

Thank you.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The prepaid gift cards can be bought about anywhere, gas stations here in FL, WalGreens, cvs, Wal mart. They will vary how much you have to pay for them so check that (like you might pay $107 for a $100 card).

You need a verified US billing addy with the card, so that is probably the problem. The gift cards use anything, or you can register them to a specific addy online sometimes.

Do not buy a reladable one, you are looking for the gift variety.

Glad you got it!!

13. scruch thread starter macrumors member

scruch

Thank you
    I'm writing you from my iPad with AT&T active data plan. I've found my VISA gift card 50$ at an SAFEWAY supermarket. Worked smoothly out.

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Awesome!!!

Gee, I miss Safeway/Vons here in Florida. Actually, what I miss are the items I can't get here in FL at any store! Italian Dry Salami.... good sourdough bread... linguica.... Tri-tip... I'm going to make myself hungry :p

Enjoy your visit!!!!

15. junkmailfever macrumors newbie

Did you need to register the Visa Gift card online before using it on the iPad with AT&T ? I happen to have the VISA gift card from SAFEWAY also and I will be travelling to the States next month. I had problems registering the gift card online, so I'm not sure if AT&T will have problems validating the address or simply ignore it because it's a gift card.

16. iKrl macrumors regular

I'm traveling to the USA too, can I go to an Apple Store and ask for a mircosim or is it imperative that I buy one from an AT&T store?
    I'm asking this because I read somewhere that it was possible to get a free microsim from an Apple Store...