iPad with a Cloud Solution

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yodaxl7, Apr 15, 2011.

1. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

If Apple brings forth the cloud solution, I think this can have a major effect on pc computing. iPad in the current state is a great extension to our main computer (notebook, desktop). Once, it is activated. It is fairly independent from the main computer except for updates. It serves most purposes for a majority of the population: email, games, browsing, reading. There is a learning curve to adapt to tapping versus typing. However, bluetooth keyboard is available.

If apple brings the OTA (over the air) activation, OTA software updates and OTA backups, then the need for a main computer becomes less important. Again, I am talking about general population for home use or school.

It will be interesting to see how powerful iPad 3 will be. Would a quad core iPad serve better for heavy duty work like final cut pro or complicated computational diagrams, etc?

Storage is an issue. The cloud solution may work or thunderbolt to a portable storage. iPad 3 with a thunderbolt would be awesome.

Will iPad ever help apple in "halo" effect to boost mac sales and kill netbook sales? I am seeing the halo effect for idevices and mac computers. It is starting to have an effect on netbooks. With the cloud solution and thunderbolt in the future, it can kill netbooks for sure.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the "halo" effect will be pretty strong in a scenario where a few people in the family have iPads/iPhones/iPod touches and you want to get a new computer to keep all music/photos etc on centrally and do backups, but that might fade a bit if the iOS devices become stronger on their own.

Apple will definitely still sell tons of Macs to developers or people who think they may want to be developers.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's killed net book sales already

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Even today, I hardly ever sync my iPad.

My Pages and Numbers documents are all in Apple's iWork.Com cloud service. It's easier to work with them on my Mac and iPad when the documents are stored in the cloud. (rather than having to plug-in and drag files into iTunes)

The Drop Box App, and iDisk App are great for other types of files.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple does in this space.

5. blow45 macrumors 68000

I am very excited at what they will bring to the table too. if they get this right, or relatively right to begin with, it will untie our hands in so many usage scenarios.

6. miamijim macrumors 6502

I have not synched my iPad for ages...

Am running all my files through DropBox.

Streaming all my media 1.7TB of Movies, TV and Music Via Plex at home and over WiFi via VPN. (Free WiFi al over the town where I live)

Running Music via Spotify and Would happily pay for a Video version but I live in Finland so no HuLu or Netfilx here...

As far as I am concerned I am already living with and using cloud based computing, if it gets better than this I can't imagine how happy I will be.

7. j o s h macrumors newbie