iPad with a radio reciever

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rubbernecker72, Mar 20, 2010.

1. rubbernecker72 macrumors newbie

First post so go easy. I have looked for this but dont see it. Do you think the iPad will have a radio receiver in it?

2. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Nope. Apple can't control over the air content. No reason for them to support content they can't earn money from.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Except that the nano now does FM, including pause and resume as well as flag for later purchase from iTunes (the money part). I agree a similar feature would be nice to have on the ipad, but the posted specs don't mention it.

4. Gerri Shin macrumors member

I thought I heard somewhere that the current Bluetooth transceivers can pick up radio signals and that Apple was planning on including a Radio App in the iPhone OS 4.0 release. I could be mistaken, but that's what I thought I heard.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The chip used for Wifi and Bluetooth in the 2nd gen Touch and probably the iPhone does have FM radio capability as well. It's something they could activate with a firmware update, and probably will, for $4.99. ;) We don't know what chip is used in the iPad, but there is a good chance it has the same potential.

6. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

7. rubbernecker72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never said i wanted it.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If it's the device you're using at the time, getting local weather emergency info on the radio is a great excuse. Local sports broadcasts too. Ask "why listen the radio?" and if you have a reason to then listening to radio on the iPad or any other media player will serve the purpose.

9. danlovaj macrumors regular

I don't need a radio receiver because my fav stations are available via Clearchannel's app, iheartradio. Here I can listen to local FM stations as well as local sports am radio. The only downside is no live audio of games. However, I only listen to MLB games on the radio, so the MLB app streams live audio so that works for me!

Otherwise, why listen to FM radio when you got your iPod music? I'm so sick of listening to radio ads. Also, podcasting is awesome for talk radio, as I can listen to what I want, when I want. Especially since I can't listen to radio at work.

10. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

This rumor has been floating around for the iPhone 3GS for months. Apple's going to release an app that acts as an FM tuner for the hidden hardware and so on. Nothing has ever come of it. I suspect that if the hardware has an FM tuner, it will remain hidden because, as mentioned, if Apple can't control the content, they have no interest in it.

11. Elzlaik macrumors regular

I think the iPhone will eventually get the same radio functionality as the Nano did last September. I think the iPad was originally supposed to debut with iPhone OS 4.0, but that software setbacks in the Autumn forced Apple to use 3.2 instead, which is why there hasn't been an incremental OS update to the iPhone since September 9th.

I don't think the iPhone will see 3.2, but the radio update will likely come in 4.0. I assume Apple will announce its iOS 4.0 event a few weeks after the iPad is officially launched.

12. jasg49 macrumors member

They why did they include in in the latest Nano? (hint see post from 4DThinker)

I think it would be more interesting to have HD Radio support - after all the Zune does... aha, another reason - competitive pressure.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Nano has one.

14. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Because the Nano is solely a music device. The one revenue stream Apple can pull out of an FM tuner is the "flag and buy from iTunes" feature. Music and portable players are fairly saturated markets that Apple already owns. The Nano tuner was just an attempt to add something to the Nano to keep sales from collapsing as was the camera. I doubt the Nano accounts for even 1% of iTunes music sales from the tuner flagging feature. The iPod Touch and iPad and iPhone all have apps and content they can sell you in addition to music. Why would Apple want you wasting your time on free over the air broadcast when you can be emptying your pockets for Uncle Steve?

15. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

1) Stick it in a radio dock
    2) Get a radio app
    3) Use iPlayer or similar
    4) Mophie or similar 3rd party pack.

Not hard.

17. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Is it just me or do radio apps tend to crash more than usual?

18. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

it is 2010 a radio on a device is a waste if you ask me...

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You said there wouldn't be a tuner because Apple can't monetize the media. Regardless of the reasoning, and I doubt yours, Apple added a media feature they don't make money from to the Nano, aside from the sales of the device.

Using phrases like "Uncle Steve" removes any credibility your opinion might have had.

20. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

A great other choice would be the Reciva App. You have access to 17,000 plus stations world wide. It's the same as owning an Internet Radio with the Reciva chip set and with the touch/iphone you get a really nice portable Internet Radio. Cost is $4.99 on the Apple Store in iTunes.

IM just an avid user of Reciva and very happy with their service over all! ;)

21. mrfriggz macrumors member

Good idea, but what if you don't have a 3G iPad and don't have access to Wifi when you want to listen to radio (bus, car, etc.)

Just a thought.

Also, if the thing about the bluetooth radio working as an FM receiver is correct, that would be amazing. There is nothing wrong with radio. I listen to a morning radio show every day, and specifically use my nano in the mornings at work for that reason. Radio is almost dead, but not quite.

22. conniewilson11 macrumors newbie

conniewilson11

I still listen to radio in the morings mrfriggz

23. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Put a satellite receiver in the thing and we'll talk.

24. elmo151 Guest

iTunes radio covers a wide range of stations. Many stations stream on the net.

apps like pandora and aol radio are also very useful

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Only if you have access to a data network. Radio only requires an antenna.