iPad with a time capsule

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mqguitar, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mqguitar macrumors member

Hey everybody, I am buying an iPad soon and do not know how many GB to get. Well I want to know if I have a time capsule is it possible to use it as a server to access music and movies from it. So that way I can just buy a 16GB model and just connect to it everytime through also of course a program like Stream to me.

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't know how it works from a time capsule but there was an app to set your computer as a server to watch movies and music from. Forgot what it was called. I had a 16GB and didn't have music and maybe 3 or 4 movies at a time. Whenever I get another one I will be getting the 64 or whatever is highest just for convenience sake. Mostly because I will still get the wifi only models.

Can someone comment on using a TC or other external storage to stream media from using those apps?

3. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

There isn't a way to stream music or movies using the built in apps.

There may be some third-party Apps that let you stream from a network resource or shared iTunes library.

4. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I have a 32GB WiFi model and it gives me plenty of space for MY needs but your needs may be different. It's a personal thing really.

As for Time Capsule, I would love to be able to connect to it but there does not seem to be any way to do this at present. You can use a service like dropbox or iDisk but only for file sharing, not streaming, and even then you need to use a 3rd party application. Hopefully Apple will listen to some of the criticisms in this area and give us some of this functionality in future releases of the software.

So, figure out what you can afford and then try to push yourself to the next model up if possible. Not great financial advice but don't leave yourself room for regret that you didn't buy the 32GB instead of 16GB or the 3G instead of the WiFi. I wish I had got the 3G although I suspect if I had done then I would be unhappy to have to buy another data plan. Mostly I would have wanted the 3G model for it's GPS anyway.

Good luck!
    Craig.
    :)

5. halogan macrumors newbie

Yes, there is, it's called Safari :)

Don't know about TC, but I started Apache server on my machine, loaded up some files, deleted the index.html file and was good to go. Just load http://your-local-ip/~username and all the files in your Home Folder/Sites appear.

I watch HD video over wifi this way regularly with no problems.

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

For streaming video, you may be thinking of AirVideo - streams video stored on your Mac's hard drive to your iPhone or iPad over wifi or 3G. Works well. But has nothing to do with time capsule.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Yeah. That was it. Wasn't sure what its limitations were as far as where you could stream the media from. Thanks for clarifying.

8. jaypese macrumors newbie

You can browse directly to a TimeCapsule and stream video using FileBrowser on iPad and NetPortal on iPhone (www.stratospherix.com) . Streaming works for the types of video supported natively by iOS, but not for .AVI