Ipad with dual GSM/CDMA mode

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aibolit66, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Aibolit66 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am the long time reader of this forum, but this is my first post. We live in the area where we can not get 3G from ATT but we can get it from Verizon. On the other hand we often travel to Europe. SO my question is, what is the chance of next Ipad (Ipad2) be dual mode CDMA/GSM? SO we can useit in states as 3G Verizon and just buy SIM cards localy in Europe. Thank you.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Maybe down the road eventually
    But I seriously doubt it will be available in the iPad 2

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think if there had to be choice, they'd choose GSM. I don't think there is a need for GSM/CDMA especially since CDMA is dated.

4. Aibolit66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your answers. Looks like I will have to wait till at&t gets to my area, or when Internet will be available other then in satelite version, or wait for 22 nd century whatever comes fist. Thanks again.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

How about a GSM version iPad, but use it with a Verizon MiFi while in the USA.

6. Aibolit66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kdarling. I think that is exactly what I should do, I wish they would offer ulimited data plan.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Since there is a Qualcom that can do both HSPA(GSM) and EV-DO(CDMA), I would suspect that it would be used in the next iPad (or perhaps the next iPhone too). Otherwise, I would expect Apple eliminate the 3G iPad, and recommend MiFi like devices, so you could use anyone's network. I seriously doubt that Apple would have a GSM iPad and an CDMA iPad, they will either be combined, or the 3G will be eliminated.

TEG

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I actually do think that iPad 2, and iPhone 5 for that matter, will have dual mode, GSM and CDMA. It fits with the simplicity that Apple likes; and inventory will be easier to maintain - six versions vs 12.

9. observer macrumors member

Virgin Mifi

The Virgin Mobile Mifi offers more-or-less unlimited (slower after 5 GB) for $40 a month, no contract. It uses the Sprint network, so same technology as Verizon. You can also get 10 days/ 200 MB if you're not using it much.

It works pretty well, but as everything it depends where you are. Dependability in the Atlanta area is only middling. It's nice if you want to be able to connect more than one device at a time, such as two people each using a laptop or ipad.

I don't know any good solution to the people who are outside ATT's service areas and want to connect in Europe. There exists a GSM Mifi, but it's expensive, and I was told by ATT that ATT wouldn't sell me a sim card for it. Hopefully, these systems will change and improve in the next year or two.

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/qualcomm-has-best-quarter-ever-teases-a-host-of-snapdragon-tabl/

What of a groundbreaking deal with Apple to power new iPhones and iPads? CEO Paul Jacobs wouldn't say: "We're happy to see the Verizon iPhone announcement since it's been the subject of intense speculation, but we have no other comments on that topic."

Who knows. It would save them from having to make two different skus. I'd buy one that could do both as long as the carriers offer pay as you go data. When traveling use Verizon if AT&T didn't have 3G coverage a vice versa, although I could use MyWi on my iphone to provide data.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

The ability to pop a SIM in on the iPad in whatever country you find yourself is one of the most attractive features of the iPad, especially to customers outside the US. Apple would sooner drop the Wifi-only version than drop the GSM.