Ipad With GPS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by argo063, Jun 7, 2011.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey People

Im looking for a tablet that can run gps without internet connection.
    Like a normal Garmin gps.

Does any one know if the ipad 2 can do that?
    Is there other tablet that can ?
    What Maps software is out there?

Thanks
    Argo063

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Any 3G iPad can. (Has nothing to do with the 3G; it just happens they have GPS and the WiFi models don't.) Navigation apps like Navigon and MobileX either have or allow you to download preloaded maps beforehand so you don't need an Internet connection.

3. argo063, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

argo063 thread starter macrumors member

That would work but I said no phone reception. Eg be out in bush. So is there any tablets that has gps with no 3G range. Works like normal gps.
    Thanks

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You don't have to use the 3G connection. You don't have to buy the plan and you can have 3G turned off. It's just that only the 3G iPads have a GPS receiver in them. The "wi-fi only" iPads don't have a GPS receiver.

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Ahem.

And remember, you never have to sign a contract with a 3G iPad.

6. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

So why does iPhone 4 need 3G to get gps?

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It doesn't. It just uses cell towers to triangulate its location faster than GPS can. A GPS lock takes time, so it calculates the approximate position from 3G, and then refines it with GPS. It'll still work without 3G; it'll just take a bit longer to locate you.

8. wacomme macrumors regular

This is a related question.

Outside general navigation (car, etc - though iphone may be more convenient), are there apps that take advantage of the GPS in the ipad? I ask because I'm wanting a wifi ipad, and I'm wondering if I'll be missing anything without the GPS (other than navigation).

9. FAsnakes macrumors regular

That's a great question.. I just picked a wifi iPad (and within the return period) wondering if there is a nav app I could use without activating a 3G plan? With a 3G iPad?

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I think Navigon has a lot of maps pre-loaded, so you don't need internet access.

I have a 3G iPad, but I've never activated the data plan. Right now I use MobileX Drive. Before going somewhere, I just download the route while I'm still on WiFi and it works fine when I'm out and don't have signal. Also, anywhere I've been is cached and stored for offline navigation.

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Although the 3G iPad will work you get much more accurate results with a dedicated GPS.

12. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Ok, thanks. Just checked the app store and don't see 'MobileX Drive' - is it under a different name?

13. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

D'oh!

My bad, it's called MotionX Drive. Here you go.

Navigon is supposed to be very good, but it's a bit more expensive.

14. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Perfect, thanks! I'll have to check this out..

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Navigon is absolutely perfect. I've used it hundreds of times since I purchased it in August of 2009. Use it on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Locates my iPad 2 in a matter of minutes with 3G and WiFi off. All maps are preloaded, up to date and ready to go. Highly recommend it. Worth every penny.

16. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Good to know. And the preloaded maps are good enough to use without an Internet connection without downloading anything beforehand? Good to know. I might shell out for it for my trip later this month.

17. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

Hey People
    Hmm i think you are wrong about ipad working with gps out of range.
    I went into two apples stores yesterday and rang apple today and they said the gps will not work out of 3G rang. :( meaning it will not work for memory maps or any other app. :(
    Thanks
    argo063

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Imagine that, somebody at an Apple store not knowing their stuff. It does work.

19. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

I would want to see it work out in bush before buying. Too much money if it doesn't work. Looked around at other tablets and most of them don't work :(. But there a leader one that has window 7 softwear on it. And USB port. So if I plug in my gps receiver would that work?
    Thanks
    Argo063

20. gecis macrumors regular

Rule #1, never ask retail employees about tech stuff because most oftenly, they don't know jack. I have a 3G iPad 2 and navigon works perfectly fine. I don't even have to turn on the network and my 3G isint activated. Like someone mentioned above, the 3G iPad comes with a built in Agps chip. The wifi only model doesn't.

21. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Umm I don't even have 3G activated and it works just fine. You only need an internet connection to download maps, so just make sure you get an app that allows for pre-downloading of maps, or has them preinstalled already.

22. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

it would seem that using navigon on my 3g ipad1 worked quite well while driving across the states. there were several places where we were out of cell coverage and magically still had a gps lock.

the agps chip in the 3g ipads is assisted gps. as in true gps, with assistance.
    gps alone requires up to 12 minutes to get a tight location lock. obviously, you don't want to stand there for 12 minutes every time you want to snap a photo with a location tag, so they use the cell system to speed up that 12 minute time down to 3-7 seconds.

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

What don't you understand? You can pre-download maps from 3rd party app sources and will be able to use the GPS while you're in "the bush".

The people at Apple likely thought you were asking about being able to use the GPS in the Maps app while not connected to an internet source- that you can't do.

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I wonder if OP now fully understand the differences?

I do notice a lot of people mistakenly believe iPad (and iPhone) uses triangulation, or that "aGPS" means triangulation (does NOT).

25. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

If you were curious, you could send him a message.

You are absolutely right: Apple doesn't do much to clearly communicate about GPS capability in 3G iPads. And they don't sell any of the GPS dongles (BT or direct-connect) that can add GPS capability to the WiFi-only models.