All iPads iPad with iPad Mini Borders?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LouieSamman, Oct 30, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

What makes you think Apple will introduce the 6th generation of the iPad with the same border thickness of the iPad mini. I really like the thinner side borders and hope to see it on the 6th gen iPad.

2. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Eventually that my happen, but it won't be soon. The iPad 4 is as large as it is to support the large battery. The technology to produce a Retina display iPad with a significantly smaller battery, while retaining the current level of performance and battery life, won't exist for another 12-18 months.

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

No.

The bezels aren't there simply because they need the extra space inside the iPad. They are there so that you have somewhere to place your thumb while holding it, especially with one hand. They were able to do away with them on the mini because it is small enough to grip around the device rather than having to wrap your thumb in front of it. They even explained this in the keynote.

4. monaarts macrumors 65816

I think more than size is the weight... Have you ever tried holding the iPad for an extended period of time? You WANT that extra border! haha

5. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It also explained that you can it hold by touching the screen and it will know that your thumb is just resting on the screen.

6. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

But that doesn't mean that it doesn't overlap a part of the screen which you might want to see.

7. darngooddesign, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unlike the Mini where your fingers might just brush the side of the screen, how would it know the difference between having your thumb resting on the screen while holding it and resting on the screen because you're trying to make inputs.

Currently I don't have to move my thumb to view anything on the screen, but if my thumb covers part of it I will frequently adjust my grip depending on what's on the screen. This is more of an issue with games where you don't know where things will be.

8. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

So then, it's logical to think they could reduce the bezel size of the iPad and build in the same detection to determine thumb holding/resting vs actual input. It probably won't happen, but perhaps it could. Only time will tell.

9. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

They could have the screen right to edge and have an optional virtual bezel that you could colour and design to your taste. :)

10. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

This. Even maybe change the width of the borders from the settings to your preference.

This is the same as Steve with the keyboard. Rather than a physical one he has the keyboard come up in software which is easier to manipulate and change/renew.

I truly hope we see the end to borders and have software work with you when it comes to understanding you just laying your finger down on the screen so there is no touch impute.

11. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

I have pondered this as well. If technology permits (IGZO display?), the package thickness could be the same as the iPad mini and the weight could be reduced. Perhaps then, it would be feasible to hold it from the bottom edge when necessary.

Here's what it might look like relative to the iPad mini:

Attached Files: