iPad with iPhone and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blerns3, Oct 24, 2012.

1. blerns3 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 (and my 5 just came off backorder so I should have it by Friday) and a Macbook Pro. I'm on the fence about an iPad mini. I always wanted a smaller iPad and held off on ever getting a regular iPad thinking there was a chance they'd release one, especially since I don't like Kindle or Android tablets.

My question is though, is it really worth it when I already have an iPhone and a Macbook Pro? Something about me is saying it's not. If it was an iPad for the other 7" tablet prices, it'd be a no brainer. Anyone who has a Macbook and an iPhone that also has an iPad have anything to tell me? Thanks!

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

It isn't really worth it. I had a macbook pro, iphone and ipad and you really use one or the other. I now have a desktop and sold my mbp so I do use my ipad a lot.

I'm debating whether I should sell my iPad 2 64 gb and get the mini.

3. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That's what I figured.

4. Byeen macrumors member

Byeen

It's totally worth it :D I have all three devices, and I'm using iPad a lot ! Reading books, watching tv series (in train, in bed etc)m browsing web etc. I'm using my MBP only as a desktop since I have an iPad, so it depends on whether you need to take mbp everywhere with you, or iPad is enough for you :) it's much much more portable in comparism with mbp.

5. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I bought my first iPad (3rd gen) in August. Couldn't get my head around iPhone, iPad, MB Air and MBP. I have to be honest, the iPad has really changed how I spend my computer time. I'm almost exclusively on the iPad now and I don't travel with my MBA anymore.

I've been giving serious thought to unloading the Air and MBP in favor of a single rMBP or--and I haven't done this for more than 10 years--switching to an iMac as a primary computer and leaving my beloved laptops behind.

I only pick up a laptop for content creation/manipulation. Honestly never saw this coming when I bought that iPad. Compared to $2500 17" MBP refreshes, the iPad is easy to refresh whenever.

6. Bez59 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone and a MacBook pro and will be getting an iPad soon.

The main reasons for getting an iPad for me is if i am using the MacBook my wife has got something to use other than her iPhone and to use when i am travailing.

We thought about getting her her own MacBook but decided an iPad would be better as we don't really need two MacBooks and the iPad is more portable.

7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I have the same combo of iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro and it all depends on what you want the iPad for. My 15" MacBook Pro stays at home while my iPhone/iPad goes everywhere with my. I think of my iPad as a portable Mac that transports a little easier. I get the same amount of work done on it as I do my MacBook Pro actually. I'd say a worthy addition if you can afford it.

8. aviddk macrumors regular

My wife and I both have a MacBook Pro (mine retina). We each have an iPhone (5 and 4S). Currently we own an iPad (original). She purchased a Kindle Touch and hates the user experience. The iPad is mostly used for travel now that I have a Retina which replaced an iMac. We are trying to decide about upgrading to a Mini or an iPad4. Either one will replace the Kindle at home for book reading and on the road. The decision could go either way.

9. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

The truth is, you won't think much about the $500 a week after you buy it. So if the $500 is discretionary for you, just go for it.

10. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Nah. If you have a desktop, having an iPad, iPhone and an iPad isn't really worth it. An iPad mini is actually more ridiculous in this situation. I had a MacBook Air, iPhone and an iPad 2 and I quickly noticed that I had wasted my money on the iPad. Anything serious I did on my laptop, and any app I had on my iPad I had on my iPhone which I typically used when out and about or in the house because it was small and always right in my pocket (unless I was in my underwear, then I had it right on my right hip tucked in the elastic.) *hope you didn't visualize that.

Anyway, if you use your laptop for any real work, then buying an iPad is probably a waste. If you don't really use your laptop, sell it and get an iPad.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There is no universal answer to this question. It depends on your financial situation and your uses. For some people, it would be very duplicative. for others not.