iPad with jailbreak: no ads in web browser and free apps

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Quotenfrau, May 26, 2011.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

I am thinking to buy an iPad. For me a killer criteria is completly ad-free browsing and free apps. Is that possible and how exactly? Where are the limitations?

2. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Ad-free browsing is possible if you don't go to websites with ads. Free apps are possible if you don't want any of the pay ones. There's thousands upon thousands of free apps. Unfortunately, there's only two ways to pay for content: ad revenues and actually paying for them yourself. So you're probably going to have a tough time if you refuse to do either.

3. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

My question was technical. It was about ad blockers like GlimmerBlocker (http://glimmerblocker.org) for web content.

The second question was if it is possible to block ads in apps.

4. sethpen macrumors member

Useful information:

I have found that on my Iphone I can use the firewall ip(I actually bought it) app to block Ads and I have tried an AD blocker(not sure which) that works with browsers on the iphone.

I know this is a question for an iPad but currently I cannot unlock my iPad2. I think it's safe to say that with my Firewall and Ad blocker I can get them to work in my iPad as well as it works on my iPhone4.

When blocking ADs with the firewall you will need to learn which URL will allow access to the app and which URL is the AD URL. 99.9% of the time the URL will have the word AD in it.

I hope this helps;).

5. SA22C macrumors regular

Nope and nope.

Besides, you're willing to spend $499 ++ on a shiny piece of kit, but not $0.99 on a killer app? :wtf:

6. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Adblocks: Cydia has some.
    Free Apps: Installous (but it is illegal.)

7. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Might want to edit your post. At first blush, it looks like you want free (as in pirated) apps, not free apps with no ads from the app store.

8. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Edit the hosts file to block ads.

The app store has thousands of free apps!

9. alloucho macrumors member