iPad with matte screen SD slot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by baypharm, Oct 25, 2011.

1. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

After using a family members iPad occasionally for almost a year now, I find the glossy screen and lack of an SD card slot to be the two factors preventing me from spending $1000 to buy one. I am spoiled with the matte screen of my MBP. The glossy screen on the iPad seems to be a fingerprint smudge magnet. With SDHC cards now at 128gb, it would solve alot of internal storage issues if the next iPad was able to have one built in.

My question is simply: how many of you would be willing to pay more if the next generation iPad becomes available with an antiglare screen and an SD card slot?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I would not pay more for a matte screen. But my preference is glossy but everyone has a different opinion. I think there should be an option. I would like an antiglare but I could use a screen protector. I doubt that apple would put an sd slot in, as they clearly don't want us expanding the storage (no micro sd in iPhone?)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You are way off on the price. It's not $1000.

Brand new iPad starts at $499
    Refurb iPad starts at $299

iPad can read SD cards with the camera adapter. If you want to transfer files through USB, there's a third party dongle and app for that.

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I actually like the glossy screen, but I know some people really can't stand them. A microfiber cloth cleans the screen with just a swipe.

If you need extra storage you can get a Seagate Goflex drive that will connect wirelessly, the ext. drive can stay in your bag and be accessed without cables or wifi.

So, I would not pay extra for those options.

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Make that $399.

You can always get an antiglare screen protector. You'll probably want a screen protector anyway.

Is it even possible to make a matte capacitive touch screen?

6. APlotdevice, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I'd like point out that matte and antiglare are not exactly the same thing. Matte screens have an additional layer to diffuse light, but also unfortunately reduce brightness and color accuracy. Antiglare in the modern sense is an optical coating applied to what would otherwise be a normal "glossy" display.

I already have the camera connection kit. So an SD slot wouldn't be a huge selling point for me. And as filmbiff points out, you can get a screen protector with antiglare.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I wouldn't pay extra for any of those features. In all the time I've had my iPads not once did I feel the need for an SD card. And like so many pointed out you can get a high quality anti glare screen protector that does the trick.

If apple can add the SD without adding cost they may do it since almost all Android tabs have one. But I just don't feel the need and not sure I would even want it.

8. Lukeyy19, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Apple will never put a Memory Card slot in an iPad, (nor iPhone and iPod for that matter) because that would defeat the object of them selling higher capacity models for more money, it would detract from the design and it would require more room and weight in the device.

probably not because a true matt screen is just the screen, if you put something in front of that (for the touch ability) you would obviously need to make it smooth, so you would have to find a compromise between an accurate and easy to use touch screen, the visibility of the screen, and the matt-ness of the screen.

also you wouldn't be able to have such a nice clean bezel around the edge of a matt screen (just look at the Macbook Air)

I'm no expert, and what i've said above is just my opinion based on my knowledge and understanding, I could well be wrong, but i think an Antiglare glossy screen is probably the best you'll be able to get.

Oh and to answer the OP's original question - I would not pay extra for these "features"

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you can put a matte screen protector on then it should be possible to make a matte capacitive screen as well.

I use a matte screen protector and like it a lot. The lack of a matte screen and a SD card slot are also reasons why I didn't upgrade. iOS being so unflexible and locked is another one.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, but the 64GB 3G version is $830. Its not the quoted thousand, but its also not your $499.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I wouldn't but why does it matter? Do you think this one thread will convince Apple one way or the other?

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Ill buy the next gen only if it upgrades to retina.

I would pay extra for matte, leave the SD off.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

I am not sure how a matte screen would play with fingers. I think not nearly as good as glass.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

In the meanwhile, Powersupport AG film is very nice.

----------

1. Its still glass.
    2. The Powersupport AG film has less friction than the smooth glossy glass, finger glides much more freely.

15. baypharm thread starter macrumors 65816

baypharm

Hmmm...well I beg to differ. At my local Apple store, a 64gb iPad new with apple extended warranty, then add 7 per cent tax, brings the total to OVER $1,000.

16. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I love the glossy screen but do wish there was an sd port on it as well as the iPhone.
    I do understand apple wanting to push the higher storage device. However, why not put the SD option on the highest storage device? Sounds like win win to me.

How does that app and camera port work for file storage?

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While I'm sure selling you a higher capacity device is part of it, I think the main thing is that Apple doesn't want an open file system. They want you to use iTunes or the cloud. An SD card couldn't be locked down like the internal memory.

On a non-jailbroken device, the camera kit only let's you import photos and certain video formats via the photos app.