iPad with mouse?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thaddeuz, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Thaddeuz macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I bought the new iPad 10.5 tablet and its amazing! Its my first tablet :)
    Is it also possible to use it with a mouse or mouse'ish typ of device?

I only need it so I can browse the web a bit faster and easier. I woudnt mind if it only worked during a browser session.

I am going to buy the keyboard soon.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's no mouse or trackpad support in iOS. A few remote desktop / thin client apps have support for specific mice but that's it

3. Thaddeuz thread starter macrumors member

Is it easy/free to make a remote desktop client on the ipad? I woudnt mind if it started a Windows session.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only ones I am aware of that have any mouse support are jump desktop (which isn't free) and citrix (which only works with a citrix back end)
    I use jump with a citrix mouse for remote access to windows machines and it works really well. It only works with the citrix mouse and the swiftpoint GT mouse though

5. Thaddeuz thread starter macrumors member

Too bad. I would have liked to use a Apple mouse

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

It is literally Apple refusing to support it. Here's a 2012 video of a jailbroken iPad running a 3rd party hack that allows using a mouse on the iPad:

Works acceptably I'd say. I've used the iOS emulator on XCode to run an iPad emulator. Since you are using a laptop, you operate the emulator with a mouse and while it's not quite as nice to use that way compared to a touchscreen, it works well enough to be a viable option for someone who wants to turn their iPad into a more laptop-like experience.

I would not be surprised if Apple touts this as a great new feature for some future iOS version.