All iPads iPad with retina display (ipad 4); any benefits over iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello everyone
    I have an iPad mini (1). I am overall quite happy with it. It is still pretty fast, has all the features I want, and the design is awesome. But I've be thinking a bit about the bigger iPads, particularly because I have a 13" Air rather than an 11", so a bigger iPad might make more sense. So my question is, does the iPad 4 pose any good benefits over the iPad mini? I could get one for $80 bucks more than what I could sell my mini for, and I really don't think I will upgrade my iPad but purely for the sake of considerarion, what do you guys think?

2. perezr10, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 4 and a Retina iPad Mini and I much prefer the larger 4 if I'm home. Mainly because the screen is more readable at a comfortable arms length when I'm reading for a more than 15 minutes. You can rest your arms on your lap and see everything better. And I have good eyes, I just think the larger screen feels more comfortable when you are looking at magazines, newspapers, and books.

Also, if you do any work with spreadsheets, you will definitely want the 9.7" screen. Spreadsheets suck on the Mini unless you blow up the magnification so large that the spreasheet is unusable. This is probably one of the main reasons that Apple is rumored to be offering a 12" iPad in the future. The 9.7" screen is already borderline too small for spreadsheets and the 7.9" is insufferable.

And this last point could just be me, but I like being able to rest my thumbs on the side bezel of my iPad 4 without touching anything on the screen. I know that supposedly Apple has tweaked the software so that the new iPads won't confuse an unwanted touch but it's not foolproof. With the iPad 4, you never have to worry about it.

3. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

iPad 4 vs iPad Mini (retina)...

Screen size is the only benefit I can think of.

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The A6X in the iPad 4 is also going to be much more powerful than the A5 in your iPad mini. Switching between apps will be faster and processor intense apps like games will play much smoother. Also, the iPad 4 has double the memory of the iPad mini.

It's a better device all around except for being much heavier.

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

This is correct if your are considering the iPad mini. However, the retina iPad mini has an A7 processor like the iPad air and iPhone 5S. I have both of those ipads. The retina mini handles ios8 better than the iPad 4, not that the iPad 4 does a poor job with it. Both are great devices and the choice for the most part will come down to form factor. I use the mini in bed and when I go out and the 4 around the house.

6. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

I just got the iPad 4 to replace my ailing iPad 2. Not a fan of latest gadgets and budget calls for older iPads

7. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you read the original question, he has an original mini and is wondering if he should take the $80 deal on a 4. He should.

I also have a retina iPad mini and I disagree that it runs iOS 8 any better than the 4. They are the same.

8. kaielement macrumors 65816

They are not the same the iPad with retina has a 64bit chip in it while the iPad with retina (4th gen) dose not. I think while in the short term iOS 8 may run ok for now in the long run you would be shooting yourself in the foot. What the original poster should do is wait until apple announces new iPads and if the original poster is looking to save money pick up the iPad air when it drops in price.