iPad with Skype?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sfphoto, Jan 12, 2011.

1. sfphoto macrumors regular

Several questions from a prospective Skype user:

Can the iPad receive calls?

If so ...

ATT assigns phone numbers to iPad owners. Is this the number callers can make calls to in order to reach the iPad owner? If not what would be the number.

Also, does the app have to be open to receive?

What if the unit is asleep?

Does one need to jailbreak and install backgounder?

Thanks in advance!

2. caubeck macrumors 6502

The iPad can make and receive calls via Skype and multitasking means it doesn't have to be showing Skype on the screen in order to do so.

3. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

So what # would callers use?

4. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks. $6/mo. for a number they say.

Guess if one only wants to call out or call other Skype types there is no need.

5. jasg49 macrumors member

If you have a GoogleVoice number, you can configure it to forward calls to GoogleChat - and use Talkatone to answer and make VOIP calls.

Now, if Apple would just let us use Bluetooth headsets...

6. chadam macrumors member

chadam

All those methods work just fine for making and taking calls, don't forget about whistle. it works rather well. I still am itching for a way to make and take calls over my BT Jawbone Icon Hero. Perhap's there is a Jailbreak app for that? or are there any Dev's working on such a thing?

7. jasg49 macrumors member

FWIW, a wired earphone/mic combination works with the iPad. However, from what I have read, a wireless mic is not supported but some wireless earphones will work.

I have read that the issue is with iPad hardware - and it appears that iPad and iPhone 4 use slightly different Bluetooth chips. Whether it is a chip or driver difference that blocks use of a mic, I can't say.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

30 a year if you buy a subscription

9. coynedanielle macrumors newbie

You can also take a look at the services provided by Voxcorp.net. They also provide VoIP services for ipad users.

10. litedark04 macrumors newbie

11. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Have you tried pairing your JB Icon with your ipad to listen to audio? I understand it may not work for calls/mic, but curious if it will work for listening to music/movies etc since the JB is A2DP now?

I posted a thread about the new JB era working with ipad since they are touting it has "HD" audio, but have yet to get a response.

Again, just for listening...sorry to hijack a bit there

12. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Yes, my jawbone hero works great with. My iPad. Sound works just fine with all the apps I have tried. However it won't allow to make or take calls over bt. It is an excellent compliment to the iPad as well for the iphone 4.