Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Any time I try to cast video from my iPad Pro to the Samsung Smart TV Apple TV app or a Nvidia Shield Apple TV compatible app (I can't remember what the app is called for now) it won't cast the video and just casts the audio and says 'Music' on the TV. Screen Mirroring is no problem.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong please? Thank you.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It depends on software compatibility. For example, I have that problem with Youtube in Safari. I can get audio with Airplay or video with mirroring but apparently not both. Not a big deal though since I just use the YouTube app on the AppleTV.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
It depends on software compatibility. For example, I have that problem with Youtube in Safari. I can get audio with Airplay or video with mirroring but apparently not both. Not a big deal though since I just use the YouTube app on the AppleTV.
Is YouTube purposefully crippling the functionality?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Why not use the YouTube app over AirPlay as opposed to YouTube via Safari?

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
What video format from what app on the ipad is OP really trying to cast? The conversation seems to be centering around Youtube for now but is that really what OP is trying to do?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Why not use the YouTube app over AirPlay as opposed to YouTube via Safari?
No need. Like I said, my AppleTV already has the YouTube app and YouTube on Safari works for everything else I need. I don’t use Google properties much and I definitely don’t log in to anything Google related so the YouTube app isn’t much use to me.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
What video format from what app on the ipad is OP really trying to cast? The conversation seems to be centering around Youtube for now but is that really what OP is trying to do?

I've tried videos on the Twitter app, YouTube website via the Chrome app and IPTV apps like Mega IPTV, all with the same result.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I've tried videos on the Twitter app, YouTube website via the Chrome app and IPTV apps like Mega IPTV, all with the same result.

I can only test casting to the Shield since i don't own an Apple TV device. I don't see a casting option from Twitter app or from Youtube in Chrome (although I can cast fine from the iOS Youtube app). I don't use any IPTV apps but I'm able to cast to the shield from other apps that I use besides Youtube like my Spectrum TV app or Discovery Channel's app or Netflix. Netflix is janky though, typically just launches the Netflix app on the Shield and takes me to the info page of the video forcing me to initiate playback with the Shield's remote manually. Seems to be my experience with the Shield at least that having a companion app on the Shield is a better indication that "casting" is going to work. That's just an observation though, not a rule.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I'd recommend reboot/restart everything, including iPad, TV, Apple TV, and even router. Also disconnect and reconnect any involved HDMI cables. Then when selecting the Apple TV in AirPlay on the iPad, make sure the icon is a TV and not a speaker.

Last edited:

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
I can only test casting to the Shield since i don't own an Apple TV device. I don't see a casting option from Twitter app or from Youtube in Chrome (although I can cast fine from the iOS Youtube app). I don't use any IPTV apps but I'm able to cast to the shield from other apps that I use besides Youtube like my Spectrum TV app or Discovery Channel's app or Netflix. Netflix is janky though, typically just launches the Netflix app on the Shield and takes me to the info page of the video forcing me to initiate playback with the Shield's remote manually. Seems to be my experience with the Shield at least that having a companion app on the Shield is a better indication that "casting" is going to work. That's just an observation though, not a rule.

On the Shield I use AirServer app.

I'd recommend reboot/restart everything, including iPad, TV, Apple TV, and even router. Also disconnect and reconnect any involved HDMI cables. Then when selecting the Apple TV in AirPlay on the iPad, make sure the icon is a TV and not a speaker.

The icon is a TV and not a speaker.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Just to let you know that I tried again this morning. I did nothing different as far as I know and it worked straight away!

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Latest update. I am not getting the music message now, but I can Airplay mp4 files, but not MKV files.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Yeah I Googled it and realised that MKV's aren't supported. When videos are downloaded to the iPad, where are they saved please? Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.