ipad wont charge off comp

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mikeci, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mikeci macrumors newbie

hi all,
    Just unpacked my brand new ipad plugged it in to the apple cable that connects to my computer to charge it and low and behold... nothing! the unit won't charge. I had to plug it into the wall charger that came in the box. So much for plug and play. is this the norm for the ipad? I know I should have read the paperwork that came w/ it but my motto has always been "If all else fails read the instructions". I wonder what other surprises are in store for me.

Mike

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

From the link:

"Note: Some USB 2.0 ports and accessories do not provide enough power to charge iPad. When this occurs the message "Not Charging" appears in the status bar next to the battery icon."

3. Dapper macrumors member

Yet even though it says not charging the next day my iPad is 100 percent, go figure.

4. heywoodja macrumors member

heywoodja

Charging

When you plug the iPad into a computer USB port it has enough power to run the iPad, but not enough to charge. Once you turn off the iPad it will then start to charge, hence leaving it plugged in over night it was then miraculously charged. I learned all this by READING the directions!:eek:

5. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Screen Off

Screen off slow charge screen on no charge. So you will never see it say charge on a low power USB port.

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

The "Search" button will reveal hundreds of them, son.

7. stil macrumors member

stil

8. admwright macrumors regular

That sounds great. Now if Apple can do the same for my white iMac I would be over the moon.

9. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I don't think this is any big deal.

You can get a full day's use out of the iPad on a single charge. Plug it into your Mac and sleep the screen before you go to bed. When you get up it's synced and fully charged.

10. mikeci thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I know I'm pretty dumb but what should I "search" and where?
    mike

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Searching the forum with MRoogle will usually find answers to most of your questions. For example, I searched the forum using your thread title, "ipad wont charge off comp" and got these results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

The second link had your answer in the very first post in the thread:

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Aren't you the guy that is going to write Steve Jobs about the lack of Flash on the iPad? Maybe you should mention the charging thing to him as well.

13. mikeci thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmmm...... this sounds like the old story, "Does the light go out when you close the refrigerator door?" :D:D:D