iPad won't charge over USB on MacBook running Win7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhazonUK, Jul 2, 2010.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I can charge my iPad totally fine over USB when running OSX. However, when I am running Windows 7 using BootCamp it does not charge. I've tried both USB ports but the iPad comes up with Not Charging on both.
    Is there any way to fix this?

2. caderousse macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem. Is there any way to fix this? I use windows 7 about half the time I'm on my iMac. I want to be able to charge it...

3. whotony macrumors newbie

The USB port on those devices probably isn't compatible. I have an old MacBook and while it keeps from losing battery it will not charge. You have to plug it into a wall and also use the big charger plug not the small square one.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Did you not read? The OP states that the Mac works fine with OS X, but not with Windows 7 (the same machine). My G5 tower does not charge the iPad through its USB port, so there is probably something specific in 10.6 that allows it to charge through the computer.

5. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

iPads require more power to charge... the adapter is a (10Watt) adapter and will not charge from an iPhone or ipod charger (5Watt)... usually computers dont offer enough power from the USB ports to charge any of the iPads (ver 1 or 2), so it is surprising that it was charging it at all...

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's a problem with the Windows USB driver. The iPad says "not charging" but if you keep the iPad screen off, it will charge, albeit slowly.

7. caderousse macrumors newbie

Guys I have a 2010 iMac. When I boot into Mac OS X, I can charge the ipad via the USB ports.

But when I run bootcamp (Windows 7), suddenly I can't charge the ipad even though it's through the exact same USB port.

So I know it's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue. Any ideas?

8. dhoom1 macrumors newbie

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I still don't know why you'd even want to charge an iPad over USB. It takes long enough with the wall plug.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

The iPhone chargers work just fine on the iPads. I've used mine numerous times.

OP: That's pretty strange that it will charge on OS X but not Win 7. For what it's worth, I can't charge mine on a custom built Win 7 machine.

EDIT*

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

11. whotony macrumors newbie

I missed that one word, bootcamp but I did read. do you have anything helpful to add or are you just being a jackass to show off.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Both ASUS & GigaByte make an iPad USB driver update for windows. As far as I know it's not actually tied to the hardware.

13. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This did it on my custom Win 7 machine. Thank you!

14. caderousse macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! This totally fixed the issue.

15. yohaniv macrumors newbie

Using front USB port on my 5 yo Dell Precision I can confirm, that it can charge iPad, even if it say it does not. But it takes around 20 hours from about zero to 100%.

16. robertjYuLe macrumors newbie

Brilliant thnk you worked for me!

:)
    Thank you for your post! :D