iPad won't play bluray

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rollzst, Mar 19, 2012.

1. rollzst macrumors member

I'm having some issues with my new iPad. I was led to believe that is would play full hd movies but I've just put a 8.4gb full hd movie on there and although it plays it is not smooth. How can i fix this?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

What are you using to play it? It is likely not in iTunes format, and not being played by the native Video app, so all bets are off....

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

3. JustLikeMe macrumors newbie

You haven't given much information to go on, but I'm assuming you mean you have a 1080p blu-ray rip in mkv format, as 8.4gb is nowhere near the size of a full blu-ray disc. If so, here is how I got 1080p playing on the new iPad - I'm copying/pasting my post from another thread on this same topic, so you can ignore the information about handbrake if you just want full 1080p hd on the iPad with no compression:

I've managed to get 1080p mkv files playing perfectly as mp4 on the new iPad by using a free piece of software called Subler:

http://code.google.com/p/subler/

It transcodes the audio to AAC while leaving the video pretty much untouched and repackages the mkv as an mp4. As the iPad uses hardware acceleration for playing video, 1080p looks stunning and plays without stuttering. Oh and you can add artwork and file information too, so the files look great in the Videos app.

For comparisons sake I converted one file using both Subler and Handbrake with the Apple TV 2 Settings. Handbrake took longer, and output a 720p file, whereas Subler was impressively quick and put out a 1080p file. The trade off is that the Handbrake file was 2.3gb, the Subler file 6.8gb. Both played perfectly on the new iPad.

4. JustLikeMe macrumors newbie

Well I wouldn't say it's a great deal of effort - with subler it takes around one minute to set up, and maybe 5 to 10 minutes to complete, depending on the file size. Therefore if I already have a film in 1080p, it would be quicker for me to do this than it would be for me to download it again via iTunes in 1080p. It also means I don't have to pay for it again. I'm also not a fan of DRM, and I try to avoid purchasing files with DRM wherever possible - but conversely I prefer my media to be digital, hence I rip BR to DRM free mkv.

Perhaps most importantly, however, this is a method by which you can watch content not available via iTunes in 1080p on the iPad.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Excellent points. Thank you.

6. rollzst thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have a bluray in mkv format and am trying to play through the avplayer hd app?

Thanks for the feedback guys I will try subler as I'm not bothered about it being a large file just when storing one or two movies. When converted do I put the file in iTunes or into the av player file library?

7. ripkord macrumors 6502

convert it to native format with handbrake it will be fine.

8. JustLikeMe macrumors newbie

That explains why it didn't work - apps like AVPLayerHD are unable to use hardware acceleration to aid video playback. Once you've used Subler, just drop the mp4 file onto your iPad in iTunes, just like you would if you were transferring an mp3. It will appear automatically in the Videos app. Don't use the AVPlayerHD file library.

9. rollzst thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, you've been very helpful :)

10. JustLikeMe macrumors newbie

No problem, glad I could help. 1080p sure looks good on the retina display, enjoy.

11. WARSTIN macrumors member

Does anybody know of any windows alternatives to Subler that do the same thing?

12. jameschho macrumors newbie

I use iFlicks with the "Make iTunes Compatible" preset. It adds all the metadata and saves out the file, just remux no transcode so the process is pretty fast. Only wish it was apple scriptable so I can use folder actions with it.

13. IT Troll macrumors member

iFlicks is Mac only. I am also looking for a (free) Windows equivalent of Subler.

14. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Subler seems to be great. Thank you for mentioning it!

I've tried converting one mkv file with a DTS track multiple times though and it keeps coming out without a soundtrack, no matter which AAC option I choose. Otherwise, it looks like it will be very useful!

15. rollzst thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded sublet yesterday and have been having problems. I think i am doing what it tells me to do but it just doesn't work.

I click file open and then select my file. I then change the video file to 3.1 which is what it says to do for iPad. It then gets sent to the queue but it says done immediately and has a red circle next to the text. I know it is not done because when i find the completed file its only like 450 bytes.

What am i doing wrong, I've tried this with two movies but it doesn't work:confused:

16. JustLikeMe macrumors newbie

Are you sure you are using the most recent version of subler? I open subler, select 'File > New', and then click the + button in the top left corner of the window that opens. From there, I select the file I want to use, and another smaller window appears allowing me to select tracks.

In this window, I select 'Passthru' under Action in the Video Track row, and 'AAC - Dolby Pro Logic II' under Action in the Sound Track row. I then select add, and it pretty much does the rest for me. On my version of subler, these were even the default settings.

Hope this helps.

17. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

It doesn't play blu rays because it doesn't have a disc drive.