iPad Won't Reboot After Being Jailbroken?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by FubsyGamr, Nov 28, 2010.

1. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Hey guys;

So, last night I decided to do redsn0w's tethered jailbreaking for my iPad, 4.2.1. I did it just fine, and I was even able to install appsync and sync the apps I wanted with no issues as well. I practiced rebooting the iPad tethered and untethered, and it worked just as expected, with no issues.

I ran into a problem, however, when I attempted to install Winterboard from the Cydia 'store'. After installing, it prompted for a reboot. The iPad was tethered at the time, and so I hit the reboot button, expecting it to reboot into it's "non-jailbroken" state, and then I would just reboot it again using redsn0w. Instead, it would not boot up past the Apple logo. It stayed there for 10-15 minutes, not booting up past that. I tried restarting it (using Power + Home) and it restarts, then goes back to the Apple logo. I tried unplugging it, same problem.

I figured it was a fluke, so I restored it back to factory settings, put my latest back up back on it, and ran the jailbreak again. Again, no problems, but I decided to stay away from Winterboard. I attempted to install another Cydia store app, SBSettings, and...the same thing happened! My iPad is now stuck again on the Apple logo.

So, what am I doing wrong? Why is this happening? I really would like to have my iPad jailbroken, if it's at all possible.

Thanks for any/all input.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

First uninstall appsync and buy the apps. Second, installing things that link into Springboard will cause the iPad to not be able to reboot on it's own. You must run redsn0w in the jailbreak only mode to reboot.

3. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply!

Could you be a bit more clear? So let's pretend I'm in the Cydia store, and I'd like to install Winterboard. I search it, pull it up, then hit 'install', and it runs some stuff, and at the end it gives me the button "Reboot iPad." What do I do? If I am not supposed to hit that button, how else do I reboot the iPad? Should I have powered it off manually?

4. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

Also, now that I'm already stuck in it, is there any way to get my iPad to reboot? Or do I have to restore it again?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are to reboot the iPad. But to get it past the Apple logo you need to rerun redsn0w on it as it is.

6. FubsyGamr thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to say thanks, that fixed it up perfectly. I really appreciate your help!

7. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Seems to me Winterboard is always a problem, so I never use it and stay far away from it!

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This is not winterboard's fault. It's because the jailbreak is a tethered jailbreak.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

This problem is with a lot of apps currently. When you run redsnow to boot the iPad since you can't turn off the iPad you just go to the part where redsnow guides you into dfu mode and instead of following the directions just hold power and home for 10 seconds then release power and continue holding home and it will boot no prob

10. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

when you are stuck on the infinite apple logo, plug the ipad into your computer, get redsn0w ready. reboot the ipad (lock & home button simultaneously) and time it so it boots at the same time as you are tetherbooting with redsn0w.

11. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

AppSync is an unsigned core file. IOS sees this and refuses to boot. Make sure that you have your USB cable, redsnow, and your ipsw file and you can boot tethered no problem

If you don't install appsync, then you can boot normally.\ - but then what's the point of jailbreaking.