ipad wont restore

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WTFGARRETT, Oct 5, 2011.

1. WTFGARRETT macrumors newbie

all it says is "sync to iTunes" screen. and when i plug it up it prompts me to restore it because its in recovery mode and so i do but while its trying to restore it it pops up saying can not be done error (1604)
    i tried to download iOS 5.0 and i have beta 9 of iTunes 10.5 so i can't down grade but i have another computer with iTunes 10.4 on it and it still says the same thing. so its the iPad thats the problem and i don't know what to do with it.:confused:

2. WTFGARRETT thread starter macrumors newbie

how does that help me....
    I've been to the iPad support site several times.

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

4. WTFGARRETT thread starter macrumors newbie

5. chenjas1, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

chenjas1 macrumors member

I've got the same issue. I upgraded to 5.0 GM yesterday on my iPad 1. Everything was working great last night but after an hour, I found my iPad had turned off on its own. I turned it back on and it worked normally.

This morning, it was off again. When I tried to turn it on, it got stuck on the Apple boot logo. I tried putting it into recovery mode and tried restoring to 5.0 GM again but no luck. I also tried to restore to Beta 7. I even tried downgrading to iTunes 10.4 and restoring but no joy. I keep getting error code 40.

I took it to the Apple Store where I was told that the GM was still in Beta (which didn't seem to make sense). The Genius tried restoring it "multiple ways" with no luck. He said that when Apple officially releases 5.0 on Wednesday, restoring it then may work.

I do not want a $599 paperweight. Any insight from anyone would be tremendously helpful.

6. WTFGARRETT thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i was going to wait until the official things came out until i took it to the apple store. i plan on buying apple care for it soon. so until then i just have a no good iPad :/