Ipad won't sync movies from external hard drive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dread, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I have my iTunes music and apps library on my macbook air, but the movies portion is stored on an external NAS drive. I can watch movies from the drive on the air without issue, but when I try to sync a movie to the iPad it just makes a folder on the iPad with a list of my library and does not copy the movie. Is there any way to make this work without having to have the movies stored on the macbook air or all of the library on the NAS. In other words with my current set up.

2. bleachthru macrumors member

bleachthru

I have a similar setup, I keep all of my video files on an external HD. I have had great success with the VLC app. It allows you to drag and drop whatever videos you might be in the mood to watch that day/week onto your iPad. This way I can easily drop a season of something for a plane ride, or a couple movies. I hope this helps, the app is free from the app store. The desktop version of VLC works great too. I would recommend it, it will handle any oddball video codec you come across. This is handy, cause Quicktime tends to choke on most exotic video formats.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

You can drag and drop with iTunes also. Just select "Manually manage" on the iPad config screen (when it's connected to iTunes). I have never synch-ed media on any i-device I've owned. Much easier to drag and drop selectively.

4. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. It turns out the drive was just sleeping while I was trying to sync. Once I woke it up it was fine. The vlc player is ok, but I like using the native app because it seems to work better especially with airplay.