iPad World's Greatest Travel Companion?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lenorejg, Sep 4, 2010.

1. lenorejg macrumors newbie

Would everybody be interested in how revolutionary an iPad is for travel? I'm thinking of putting together an iPad travel book. What do you think?

Would you like to learn how to use the iPad's travel apps, what's cool, what's going to make travel super convenient? Learn about how to use it for directions, languages, entertainment, keeping your travel journal, and more?

Would you like to learn which are the best travel cases, how to travel safely with your iPad, what your iPad can or cannot handle environmentally? How to charge it or get wifi on the road?

Or how you can use your iPad as a pillow? Well, maybe not a pillow, but as the world's greatest travel companion?

What do you think?

2. leons macrumors 6502

3. Jetwash macrumors member

That would be awesome! I'm on the road half the year and the iPad is the greatest travel companion!

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

This is a great thread! I'll try to think of some good tips and apps.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

7. lenorejg thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the world's greatest!

Thanks, everyone. I think it'd be so awesome to have a one stop shop for everything on iPad and cool products and apps for traveling. Any more opinions out there?

8. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

I just logged over 314,000 air miles with mine. I bet i know as much about this subject as anyone.

Are you selling something here? Looking for suggestions or just feeling the waters?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

With as quickly as apps and accessories change why would you do a book instead of a site?

10. abriwin macrumors member

Why bother with a book?

Unless you were going to make it available on the iPad?

I bought mine especially so I could have something lightweight to travel with. To have my books to reaad, language guides, dictionaries, travel guides, timetables, maps, etc always available.

I just downloaded Bento for Mac and iPad to keep a daily journal of where I will visit. I already inserted all the places dates and times and will be able to add the best images I take from each place. I'll keep all my notes and comments in one handy easily organised place. I just wish Bento allowed us to change the fonts to something we like and not just one standard one.

What more do I need?

A better way to organise files on the iPad instead of the cack handed manner of having to go through iTunes. Whoever thought up such a crazy way to get files into the iPad needs their head tested. iTunes is for music and other media. Let's have a decent filehandler in the same format as finder on the Mac.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

As an FYI, an Estonian prostitute is the World's Greatest Traveling Companion.

12. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I gotta go with Latvian. Give it a try.

13. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

That sounds like a mighty good idea indeed, I fly twice a month (generally within Europe), and love my iPad whilst travelling.. It'd be a good idea for tourists, so long as you find a publisher who will put it on iBooks :p

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

When the volcano erupted in Iceland, Lonely Planet offered free downloads of many of their European travel guides (iPod/Phone formatted). I took full advantage downloading all of them and used a few on a recent trip (Budapest, Vienna, Berlin). They have lots of map content linked to the guide book pages and the maps take advantage of GPS on the iPad (so sites that are linked to the guidebook can be referenced to your location) - very handy.

15. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I was actually one of the 'unfortunate' (I got 2 weeks extra off work.. Woot ;)) people to get stuck abroad.

Anyway, I didn't ever notice anything in terms free apps, pity I never saw it, but you're right, travel guides are always pretty decent.

We'll see where the OP takes it.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I actually did the same at the time. The guides come in very handy, though it would be nice to see them (or a similar info) using advantage of iPad's screen size.

17. MikeFromTexas macrumors member

Target is moving too fast for a book.

A web site or app might work. Keeping it up to date would be key.

18. mangrove macrumors 6502

I'd love to know if you're on the continent of Europe, what is the best way to use 3G fi you have a US iPad. For example, do the French trains have wifi for its use?

If no wifi, what is the best micro to buy for use in Europe?

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

For WiFi you can try Boingo.

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

From my recent trip I had the best luck with McDonald's for free WiFi. And they're way nicer there.

21. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I like the idea.

A section on options for getting a 3G SIM card in different countries would be really very helpful. It's often time-consuming to find out on your own, even if you speak the language.

A section on the best and most cost-effective VOIP app would also be welcome.

And be sure to mention iPad's ability to receive Slingbox--the best cure for homesickness other than a conjugal visit.