iPad-worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xyanide14, Oct 3, 2010.

1. xyanide14 macrumors newbie

hey guys, i was planning on purchasing an ipad probably around christmas. I don't know if it is worth purchasing the 3g version or the normal wifi version, keeping in mind the 300 dollar difference. The main thing I will probably do with it include reading books, taking notes, taking it on the subway and etc.

Please share your thoughts

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you want internet availability almost everywhere or just in wifi hotspots?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I bought the WiFi and returned it for the 3G version
    I love my iPad and the 3G option

4. xyanide14 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe you have to pay monthly for the 3G right? Do you mind sharing how much on average you pay?

5. mpetrides macrumors member

Travel, no travel?

I guess the choice depends on how much you're likely to use the iPad in places where there may be no WiFi.

If you almost never travel and will use your iPad ONLY in places where there is WiFi, then you can save the money.

However, I find it very annoying to have an iPad I can't use to surf the Net or to check my email at a restaurant that doesn't have WiFi or on the road at a gas station or rest area without WiFi. If this applies to you, then the 3G version is imperative. :D

@MacDawg: I pay $30 a month for unlimited 3G, but that's because I signed up at the very beginning. The high end plan (2G) would probably suffice and save me $5 a month, but I hate to watch my usage. YMMV

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

8. lordking65 macrumors regular

It seems like you won't be on the internet as much, so i would get the Wifi version or get the 3G version with the 250MB plan since you'll just be reading books and taking notes (ill assume "etc" are apps that don't connect to the internet). But if you'll be using a lot of data and plan to be listening to Pandora or something, the 2GB plan will be right for you.

If you are going to get the 3G version, I suggest to make your data plan decision now and wait till the second generation ipad releases. That's what I'm doing.

Or just follow your heart!

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I got the Wifi and Haven;t really have any issues not having the build in 3G, i got an iPhone Jailbroken so i can share my internet sharing and that is what I use when no Wifi available, however i found myself using it maybe 10% of the time. use the money to get larger capacity. (my $0.2)

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

Honestly, I got the WiFi one cause it came out April 3rd. I use my iPhone as a tethering device. To be honest, I'm not sure I would do it again. I have to wait for the jailbreaks. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I'm at the mercy of the dev team. Also, when I get iPhone 5, I'm sure it's not going to be jailbreakable right away. So then I'll have times when I don't have the internet with my iPad. I'm sure I'll be missing that.

I think if I had to do it over, I'd get the 3G just in case. I'd still tether most of the time, but in times of real snags, updates, new iPhones, etc., the 3G would be a nice option.

11. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

I got the 3G version and I probably use it more on 3G then on Wifi.

It takes 20 min one-way for me to get to work with the subway here in stockholm, we have perfect 3G coverage in the tunnels and a twin sim-card cost me 6 dollars a month. I love reading the news on the subway, since I got my iPad I don't dive over my computer the second I get home. I have already read up on everything. 3G is nice to have elsewhere as well, you don't have to go Wifi-hunting when trying to decide on where to buy coffe.

I say that the 3G-version is a no brainer if a dataplan for the iPad isn't to expensive in your country and you can use it while commuting.

12. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I have no complaints having the wifi only model. Sure you can use the Internet everywhere, but, 3G is pretty slow, and I've found I don't go out as much with the iPad as I originally though would.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no complaints about the 3G performance myself
    Everyone's usage and lifestyle will vary
    That's the beauty of options and choices

14. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Maybe I'm just impatient :p

15. lamadude macrumors 6502

I have the wifi version because I mostly use it at home, sitting in a couch with my ipad is more relaxed than using a desktop or laptop. If I need to check facebook or something when I'm walking around the city I use my iphone, the ipad is too big for that. So it's great for me since I use it for web browsing at home, everyone has different usages for it though

16. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

I have the wifi version only, and it's perfectly fine for me. I use it mostly for games and occasional reading. Whenever I go places (like camping) they usually have wifi there to use. I think the 3G is a little overkill for the average person (unless you absolutely need to be connected). So I would say get the wifi, as it's perfect for the average user, and it's also a little cheaper.

17. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

My iPad will primarily be used for home use. iPhone is for outside 3G use. The black strip does look cool though.

18. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you plan on using it alot away from wifi, can afford it and don't need 3g service for any of your other devices then go with the 3g option. You don't have to sign up right away, and when you do there is no contract so you can cancel at anytime, so you only pay for when you need it.

If you go with the wifi only version and later decide you want 3g there are options for external devices as well. I have the virgin mobile mifi, which is great for me as I use it for my laptop as well as the ipad, and can share it with others. It is unlimited 3g for $40 a month or $10 for 100mb over 10 days. There is also an option from Clear (idevices only) for $25 but is 4g only (which if you live in a strong 4g area is faster than 3g). Both of those are no contract options in the US. You would have to pay for the device and then the service when you need it.

The disadvantage to the external devices is that the battery life is less than 1/2 of the iPad. I have an extra battery so for me it is not an issue. I get 3-4 hours of actual internet time (longer on standby). But if you have other devices you want to hook up to it as well or need to share with friends and family then they are a great option.

19. ravenas macrumors regular

I do the VirginMobile MiFi as well. Allows me to get service for my iPad, iPod Touch or netbook, whichever device I feel like using that day. I also avoid the crap 2GB bandwidth cap AT&T enforces in the US.

For what you intend (reading books and taking notes) you don't need 3g. The only time you'd need 3g is if you want to read news while on the subway or stream media off the web.

I debated the same thing. In the end I went for WiFi because I figured it just wasn't worth the extra money to enable internet on this one device. I also tend to use my iPad in areas with WiFi, but have the MiFi for when I go between them.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

difference between wifi and 3G models is $130, not $300.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For me, the 3G version is well worth it.

No need to worry about finding an open WiFi connection. GPS. Having Internet access everywhere. Very convenient.

22. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

I will choose the 3G version, for it brings great convenience to me.