iPad worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Relg3!, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Relg3! macrumors regular

Relg3!

Hi guys sorry if this is just another "one of those" threads.
    I have been thinking about purchasing an iPad but when do you guys think a new one will come out?(I have been wanting and iPad with iOS4 and a front facing cam) Though these are rumors how possible can this be?:apple::rolleyes:thanks in advance

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess, is that the iPad will be updated next spring around April to June timeframe.

As for iOS4, should be released this fall.

If you have a need, get one now and enjoy using it. Life's short. Why wait if you can use it now?

Personally, I am enjoying using my iPad 3G 64GB.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are aware of the many other threads on this topic, what makes you think starting a new thread would get you any new answers/info?

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Sushi nailed it. If they do revise the hardware, it will more-than-likely be in April. The iOS4 is suppose to be released this fall (mid to late September).

And...don't worry about the search Nazis...they've got nothing better to do.

5. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

Thanks GadgetGeek71!:p oh and i think ill hold off and wait with my iPod Touch 3rd Gen for now thanks guys!

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I usually don't call people out on not searching, but OP indicated he was aware of "those" threads, yet started a new one anyway. Raises the annoyance level one notch.

7. aohus macrumors 68000

Questions to ask yourself

1) Why do i need it? Let the device fit your needs, and not the other way around. In essence, let the device work around your schedule, and don't let the device make you go out of your way.

2) Is it going to burn a huge hole in your wallet, and have to resort to hot pockets for a month to afford it? I wouldn't do it.

3) Do you already own a netbook/notebook at home? If so, chances are your notebook/iPad will overlay each other in terms of use.

Personally, I'm glad I purchased the iPad on launch day (April). It really is my personal companion device. It keeps me informed, and the slew of rich apps keeps me engaged.

8. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

You have an iMac. You have an iPod touch. Of course you don't need an iPad.

No one really needs an iPad. The whole platform is based on desire and want. It's a luxury toy and third extra device. A solution in search of a problem.

But if you want one, then by all means get one. There are always going to be newer models coming out. That's just the nature of tech. I'd go for it. Next spring is a long time away.

9. LGgeek macrumors newbie

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Unless you are a developer (like me). iPads are needed for testing purposes.

11. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

I know i DONT NEED an iPad.:DI was just looking towards it to fill in the gap of a laptop.Though it cant do SOME things a laptop can do I would rather do that on my iMac. I will hold off until a new one.Reason being I would rather get more for my money. (and I am not saying the iPad is worth less than it is):

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Ive found it to truly fill that gap between my iPhone and my MBP. I love sitting on the sofa browsing, paying games, answering emails etc. Heck, I'm writing this post on my ipad.

I'd say buy it now. Theres still at least a 6 month wait for an update, and iOS4 is coming in the fall, as already said will probably be in september.

Buy it, enjoy it. I love using it without the weight of my MBP on my lap and the heat if I'm on my sofa. And also not having to sit at a desk consistently.

13. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

I made the decision to hold off I WONT DIE to wait the months so yeah.:)
    Sorry for the off topic question but how is typing on it?

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

So why did you decide to wait??? (Please don't say waiting on camera).

Typing is not too bad. I tend to hit the N key instead of the space bar sometimes.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

OP, I'm interested as well in your response to this question.

Snort.

I hit the N key all the time instead of the space bar. Need to practice more!

16. surferchick2 macrumors member

I need my ipad, despite having 2 laptops and a desktop. The many apps/gps/3g are crucial for me. Im not interested in a camera since I wouldn't 'facetime' and Im not going to hold it up to take a pic/video. I have a reasonable sized iphone or digital camera for that and don't want my convo partner looking at my face while we're talking. Unfortunately, I bought the other devices before my ipad, so I really only needed one of those. The iphone can do similar, but the small size is used only when im literally on the run. Also, I have the wireless keyboard to use while I have time to sit around...so Im set. There was really nothing for me to wait for.

17. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

Holding off... Well sorta ....:)

I am not holding off due to the the cam I'm holding off because: 1. It's the first generation (not saying it's bad. for a 1st gen device it has DONE EXTREMELY WELL )
    2. Well haven't got the cash at the moment
    to go out and buy:( but soon will save for 1... (I saved for the $1500 iMac so it seems possible) :D
    3. I just might not be able to at this time
    though depending on how quick I can get the cash I might just buy 1st gen (yeah I just contradicted what I just said) :p

18. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

There are no real rumors about the next iPad. If there are, kindly direct us to those threads.
    The only "rumors" going around are those by wishful potential buyers who are holding out because it is "certain," according to them, that the next iPad which will be "right around the corner" will have FaceTime.

19. xraytech macrumors 68020

Welcome to MacRumors.

The most you will get from posting this thread is a lot of smart remarks. You be better served doing a simple search and doing the research yourself.

That being said, I'd buy it now cuz the next gen iPad will not be out until around this time next year. When you start speculating you fall into this cycle of posting these kinds of threads. Which again you get smart remarks or being told to do a simple search and doing the research yourself.

That being said, I'd buy it now cuz the next gen iPad will not be out until around this time next year. When you start speculating you fall into this cycle of posting these kinds of threads. Which again you get smart remarks or being told to do a simple search and doing the research yourself.

Annoying isn't it. Now you know how the rest of us feel.

20. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

Uh Thanks for showing me your annoyance and pain? But at least I wont do this again.

21. AppleKash macrumors 6502

Just buy one I doubt you will regret it... Always waiting for the next and newest model when it comes to technology does not seem such a great practice to me.. lol But that is just me.. Well especially if such a product is almost a year away

22. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

chances are high ill purchase this one once the cash is available:( thats the only thing about Apple's products They are top dollar:p

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Would it not make sense for the iPad to not be updated till at least a year AFTER then have finished launching the 1st one around the world?

So around next fall?

I can't see people in some countries very happy if Apple update it, within just a few months of the 1st launch.

Personally I'd rather they wait till they can do a DECENT upgrade than just tweak it without anything good to change over for.

Faster CPU / GPU, More memory, etc etc.

I'd rather wait for a better upgrade than just tweak it for almost no real advantage

24. Relg3! thread starter macrumors regular

Relg3!

very true :eek: