Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Hello everyone.

I sincerely hope all of you are doing well. I am from Pakistan and I bought a 2020 iPad Pro 11 inches in September 2020. I am very satisfied with my purchase and overall enjoying the whole experience. I bought an Apple Pencil as well and after reading over the internet that installing a Paperlike will help with the writing experience, I decided to ask a friend to bring it for me since they were not shipping it to my country.

I followed the instructions and ended up with a few bubbles. I was quite disappointed with my installing skills and decided to remove it and go for another one but then I thought it is difficult to order it again so better play around with my first one and then install the second one later. There is no doubt that my writing drastically improved and I really enjoyed the experience. However, I later realised that it was wearing off my Apple Pencil nib very quickly and I started having scratches that deteriorated my display experience.

Yesterday, I installed the second one after watching 2-3 videos on how to install it more effectively without the bubbles and to my horror, this time it was a disastrous experience and now my iPad looks an ugly and horrendous hotchpotch of bubbles. I can't stand that and wish to opt for a regular glass protector so can anyone give me some tips on what other products can I use to improve the writing experience on my iPad? I am just done with Paperlike plus I find it very expensive so I'd highly appreciate your suggestions and advice.

I saw some rubber nibs called Pen Tips so was also wondering if anyone has use them for writing.

Regards.

AnotherGuy345

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2020
Orange County, CA
You want to try another brand of matte screen protector, there are good budget alternatives out there. And go easy on installing it. You’re get it to be perfect, if not keep at it. Most comes with 2 anyway so keep trying (buying, if necessar). And forget the nibs.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
You want to try another brand of matte screen protector, there are good budget alternatives out there. And go easy on installing it. You’re get it to be perfect, if not keep at it. Most comes with 2 anyway so keep trying (buying, if necessar). And forget the nibs.
Thank you. Which ones would you recommend? Plus it is not easy to get shipped in my country so I actually cannot take much chances when it comes to the application and installation process. Paperlike application has been a nightmarish experience.

AnotherGuy345

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2020
Orange County, CA
Thank you. Which ones would you recommend? Plus it is not easy to get shipped in my country so I actually cannot take much chances when it comes to the application and installation process. Paperlike application has been a nightmarish experience.
Is highly recommend “BELLEMOND 2 set” (if this is available where you are). It will last, resistant to scratch, better and less expensive than Paperlike brand (scratched up Easily after a while). If not, any other with enough good reviews should do. Check Amazon for that. But just like any brand, it could be challenging to apply. Do some research and watching some YT videos on how. Bubbles sometimes can happen at first.

Update 9:45pm, May 16. Note: If you *draw* a lot (as in like an artist) or *write* a lot (as you accustomed to writing on paper & know how it feels), you’ll need a matted screen layer no matter what people say. Of course you could always try with or without. :)

Last edited:

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I write a lot on my 11” IPP, this is my main device for work. All my meeting notes etc is taken on the IPP. I've used the apple pencil since the first version were released. Tried the paperlike and other similar products, they're all useless to me. It will take some time to adjust to writing on glas, but after a while you'll get used to it. The paperlike will only make the screen look less detailed. It's nothing like using a real pen and paper. Save your money.

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
I write a lot on my 11” IPP, this is my main device for work. All my meeting notes etc is taken on the IPP. I've used the apple pencil since the first version were released. Tried the paperlike and other similar products, they're all useless to me. It will take some time to adjust to writing on glas, but after a while you'll get used to it. The paperlike will only make the screen look less detailed. It's nothing like using a real pen and paper. Save your money.
Thank you so much. I already spent money on Paperlike and since I had to order here in Paksitan so it costed me a lot. The writing experience hasn't been that bad but the bubbles and overall quality is not worth the price in any manner. I guess you are right. I just need to practice and hopefully will get used to a glass tempered screen protector since I would like some protection on the screen. I write a lot and since I am also a teacher so now I use my iPad on airplay with my Mac using Zoom to draw graphs and explain things using the Apple Pencil so the writing part on the iPad is very important for me. Wish the Paperlike was more better in quality and had been easier to install. Hate the hotchpotch of bubbles.

Reactions: Kobra

mjq1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Is highly recommend “BELLEMOND 2 set” (if this is available where you are). It will last, resistant to scratch, better and less expensive than Paperlike brand (scratched up Easily after a while). If not, any other with enough good reviews should do. Check Amazon for that. But just like any brand, it could be challenging to apply. Do some research and watching some YT videos on how. Bubbles sometimes can happen at first.

Update 9:45pm, May 16. Note: If you *draw* a lot (as in like an artist) or *write* a lot (as you accustomed to writing on paper & know how it feels), you’ll need a matted screen layer no matter what people say. Of course you could always try with or without. :)
Thank you so much. Yes let me see how it goes. I am not an artist but I write a lot on my iPad and since I am a teacher so I also use it to deliver lectures. I can even deal with the Apple Pencil tip wearing off at a normal rate but the bubbles on the screen is a major deal breaker for me and when the protector has scratches then the visibility becomes really bad. I wish these huge companies start taking such aspects into consideration when they make such products in the first place as we are already spending a significant amount on them in the first place.

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020

I second this. The one I used is the Bellemond that is specifically Kent paper version. It went on well and I didn't see any noticeable bubbling. I've got another one ready and waiting for my newest iPad.

The thing about Paperlike that has put me off is that if you watch any review on youtube about notetaking, Paperlike has sponsored what seems like EVERY single one of them. It's crazy and excessive and makes me suspicious about their product.

Reactions: AnotherGuy345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.