iPad1 4.3.5 slow bandwidth

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nothapy, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Nothapy macrumors newbie

My ipad gets about 10mbps download time if i'm lucky and sometimes, goes in and out of wifi.

The thing is, when it is getting wifi, it only gets about half the amount of bandwidth speed as my iMac. My iMac gets 20mbps and my iPad gets 10mbps. It doesn't matter if I move the iPad closer to the router.

Also, when it goes in and out of wifi, it's at a friends house on the back patio. I know your going to say, "it's too far from the router" or something but i know something is wrong because my friend has his laptop out and his wifi connects and stays connected constantly.

I've reinstalled my os on the ipad. I'm looking for some setting in the iPads wifi settings I have to mess with to fix this. Thanks in advance.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm Guessing

That your iMac has a direct connection to your router via a cable? You are alway's going to get less BB width with wifi, but the signal depends on the quality of your router, not alway's the distance from it. ISP supplied router / hub combo's are garbage.

An example:

I have a 50MB BB connection (Optical) the router / hub combo supplied by my ISP (VM in the UK) looks fantastic, has no external aerials and is total garbage. I knew this before it was installed. I know you said don't mention it but I doubt you have a faulty device. If you really want to...Take it back to the store and have them check it out, it could be faulty, but I doubt it.

Once you've done that look into doing things this way:

I disabled all the wifi functions on the stupid piece of bling that my ISP provided and use it just as a modem. I spent a few £$ and got myself a decent wifi router from Draytek....Other brands are good too, but the Vigor is unstoppable. With my iMac (cable connected) I get 48.5mb. With My MBA (wifi) I get between 38 and 49 depending on where i am in the house or garden.

My iPad produces almost exactly the same figures. Your access point (router has got to be good)

I wish ISP would supply decent kit in the first place.

3. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

no actually,

my imac uses wifi just like my ipad. Perhaps the ipad 1s just have a bad antenna like the iphones?

eventually, i'll run a, ethernet cable under the carpet from my router to my computer but my computer gets a fine connection, the problem is the ipad...I restored it and it's a little faster, 12-13 mbps rather than 8-10

----------

I pay for an 18 mbps from my isp so getting 20mbps on my computer i'm quite happy with!

but the ipad just doesn't like the Internet! Perhaps i'll take it into an apple store as the hardware is still under warranty.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's Worth Getting It Checked

And since it's still under warranty, you may well end up with a swap out. But the figures you mention are about right really.

Take it to the store, they might not even check it....Just a no quibble swap out, so before you go, transfer all your docs,email etc to your iMac so you don't lose stuff. Don't worry about your apps they can be downloaded again via iTunes.

5. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you saying it's normal for an ipad to get half the connection of a computer?

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wow that's impressive to get speeds so close to the advertisement. I'm pretty satisfied with my BT Infinity Fibre To The Cabinet setup. I get up to 38 out of 40 advertised.

I only get around 12 on my iPhone though. It may be that the WiFi chip in iDevices aren't as good as macs, but I actually think that the speedtest.net app tests the download for a very small file (naturally it's meant for mobile networks), and therefore it doesn't have enough time to properly measure the maximum speed.