Ipad1 and IOS5 - how slow?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by myjunk, Jul 24, 2011.

1. myjunk macrumors newbie

With every iteration of a new software, it brings forth features which we want. IOS 5 is no different. Im liking the new iMessage (whatsapp can go rot for all I care for alienating us iPad / iPod users!!), as well as the split keyboard.

Now, there is a downside to this I believe, the downside being speed, or rather, the slowness.

Ios3 --> IOS 4, speed dropped. The slate is now Laggy and not as responsive as it is on IOS3. I keep having to shut down all the background apps. (man, what a pain!!)

Hence, the question to developers and users who's installed IOS 5 on their iPad1, how bad is it??

Thanks

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I have a question, how much of the memory on you iPad do you use? You do know that if you fill up over 50% of the memory on your iPad the thing becomes slower right, because then the internal HDD/SSD will always be running? And for the most part, the iPad 1 isn't too slow, I mean alot slower compared to iPad 2, but to other tablets it shouldn't.

3. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I'm been using all the iOS 5 betas. I found beta one very 'laggy' but the susequent betas have been just as good as iOS 4 for me in terms of speed. (Obviously, they are not as stable).

iOS 5 beta 4 is very good speed-wise, and so I expect the release version to be just as (or if not, more) responsive.

Cheers,

RTP.

4. myjunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't quite understand the last bit which says "I mean a lot slower compare to. Ipad2" if I understand correctly, you're saying ipad1 and Ipad2 speed wise is similar? I would say it's jot the case in my experience, page rendering (webpage), app switching speed etc are all faster and generally more responsive.

Anyways, coming back, yes my ssd is >50% filled(64G flash). Hwever, what I noticed is t hat RAM is the one that gets severely limited. Somehow it has to do with memory management perhaps. The funny things is, on an iPhone 3GS, Filled >80%, it still behaves faster/more responsive than the ipad1. Don't even have to so the 'kill background tasks" thing.

Rod: thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

5. jonrando macrumors 6502a

He means if you compared the iPad 1 to the iPad 2, the 1st generation would be slower, mostly because the iPad 2 has a dual-core processor and more RAM. They are saying, though, that the iPad 1 performs just like iOS 4 with iOS 5 on it.

6. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I don't think its anything to worry about as it's still in beta phase, i think any performance issues will likely be resolved..