Ipad1 and IOS5 - how slow?

myjunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
With every iteration of a new software, it brings forth features which we want. IOS 5 is no different. Im liking the new iMessage (whatsapp can go rot for all I care for alienating us iPad / iPod users!!), as well as the split keyboard.

Now, there is a downside to this I believe, the downside being speed, or rather, the slowness.

Ios3 --> IOS 4, speed dropped. The slate is now Laggy and not as responsive as it is on IOS3. I keep having to shut down all the background apps. (man, what a pain!!)

Hence, the question to developers and users who's installed IOS 5 on their iPad1, how bad is it??

Thanks

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
I have a question, how much of the memory on you iPad do you use? You do know that if you fill up over 50% of the memory on your iPad the thing becomes slower right, because then the internal HDD/SSD will always be running? And for the most part, the iPad 1 isn't too slow, I mean alot slower compared to iPad 2, but to other tablets it shouldn't.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Hence, the question to developers and users who's installed IOS 5 on their iPad1, how bad is it??
I'm been using all the iOS 5 betas. I found beta one very 'laggy' but the susequent betas have been just as good as iOS 4 for me in terms of speed. (Obviously, they are not as stable).

iOS 5 beta 4 is very good speed-wise, and so I expect the release version to be just as (or if not, more) responsive.

Cheers,

RTP.

myjunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I have a question, how much of the memory on you iPad do you use? You do know that if you fill up over 50% of the memory on your iPad the thing becomes slower right, because then the internal HDD/SSD will always be running? And for the most part, the iPad 1 isn't too slow, I mean alot slower compared to iPad 2, but to other tablets it shouldn't.
Don't quite understand the last bit which says "I mean a lot slower compare to. Ipad2" if I understand correctly, you're saying ipad1 and Ipad2 speed wise is similar? I would say it's jot the case in my experience, page rendering (webpage), app switching speed etc are all faster and generally more responsive.

Anyways, coming back, yes my ssd is >50% filled(64G flash). Hwever, what I noticed is t hat RAM is the one that gets severely limited. Somehow it has to do with memory management perhaps. The funny things is, on an iPhone 3GS, Filled >80%, it still behaves faster/more responsive than the ipad1. Don't even have to so the 'kill background tasks" thing.

Rod: thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Don't quite understand the last bit which says "I mean a lot slower compare to. Ipad2" if I understand correctly, you're saying ipad1 and Ipad2 speed wise is similar?
He means if you compared the iPad 1 to the iPad 2, the 1st generation would be slower, mostly because the iPad 2 has a dual-core processor and more RAM. They are saying, though, that the iPad 1 performs just like iOS 4 with iOS 5 on it.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I don't think its anything to worry about as it's still in beta phase, i think any performance issues will likely be resolved..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.