Ipad1 no IOS6, yet slower 3GS does get it? Confused.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by I am Sampson, Jun 13, 2012.

1. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

I'm confused.
    Anyone know why the original iPad won't get IOS6, yet the iPhone 3GS will?
    As far as I understand it, the original iPad is newer and has a more powerful processor. Its fair enough that older hardware doesnt get new IOS, thats normal, but this seems like an inferior (3GS) device gets it (albeit without all features) yet a superior device (iPad1) does not.

Wanted some better parental controls for ages! Seems very odd.

2. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

The iPhone 3GS is still being sold at AT&T where as the iPad 1 is not being sold anymore.

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

My money is on the low memory on the device (256mb) to drive the display and the new features. Hell, I remember that free Science Textbook running like crap on my old iPad 1.

4. Daveoc64, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The iPhone 4S (and iPhone 4) are too expensive for a lot of people, so the iPhone 3GS is still sold as a cheaper alternative.

Given that it's still on sale, dropping support for it would be a bad PR move.

When they dropped support for the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G, they had not been on sale for at least a year.

The original iPad likewise hasn't been sold for a long time. Apple sometimes has refurbished models on the website, but it's not being sold new. The original licence agreement for the iPad actually stated that users could expect two major software updates (i.e. iOS 4 and 5).