iPad1 to iPad2 Gaming, does one player have an advantage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSX-SUX, Sep 14, 2011.

1. OSX-SUX macrumors newbie

Everybody I know has the iPad2 and I am thinking of getting a refurbed iPad1, but I know one of my friends will want to play Red Alert against me (long running competition). When I watch how much faster the iPad2 loads games, I am wondering if he will have any advantage (I realize that is screen might be quicker to respond/refresh when scrolling on a map, but that seems reasonable to me).

Do you think since the games are sync'd in some way via WiFi that they'll stay pretty even as far as building units, or command large groupd of units, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am getting the iPad1 3G as I don't need Facetime or a camera, I don't think I need Gyroscope (does iP1 3G have this anyway?), I don't think I need the extra 3G options (Quadband etc), and it seems I'd be OK with the lower processor specs and memory. I'd like GPS apps to perform well, but that seems to work fine on the iPad1 as well.

Appreciate you helping me make the final decision between 1 and 2 considering the above q's

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

The speed difference between the two isn't significant enough to affect your gaming in any way. Go with the ipad 1

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Obviously, spoken by someone with the iPad 1. I agree that the speed difference is not that great, but if the iPad 2's increased speed will be felt anywhere it will be in gaming.

4. OSX-SUX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback. If someone is able to test this with a friend, side-by-side connected via WiFi playing the same game head-to-head, I would appreciate it.

If my friend even has the slightest advantage of reaching the "nuclear" weapons in Red Alert before I do then he'd always win and one main reason for getting the pad (Red Alert) will be for nothing. Or he'll have to start giving me little head starts and that would be annoying. He usually wins anyway, so maybe I make him switch Pads for the length of the game.

Or is there anyway to have him disable one of his cores for the game session ;D

5. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

The speed is not felt with normal browsing and everyday usage. But, 2's graphics are 9 times faster and better and that will definitely play a role in high end games.

6. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding me? Absolutely, it does. when I got my iPad 2, the first thing I noticed was that my scores were higher in all the games I used to play. Faster smoother graphics enables you to react quicker.

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I am not so sure if C&C considered a particularly high end game though. Theoretically the game play should be identical for both iPads in a 2D online game like that. But I've never tried it so I could very well be wrong.

8. Gomez315 macrumors member

With the iPad 1, you have to make sure you close all of your apps before you play a game or it will lag a bit. At least mine does if I have a couple of apps open. YMMV.