iPad1 vs iPad2 display differences

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BostonBrawler, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BostonBrawler macrumors member

Ok so I had been under the impression that both generation iPads had the same display.

I have had an original iPad since September, and today just purchased an iPad2.

My original is a 64g 3g ATT

My new one is a 64g 3g Verizon

Just compared the two side by side for speed, and was shocked at the noticeable difference in display.

My iPad 2 is more vibrant, brighter (both unplugged at full brightness), and the colors and details are crisper than the original.

My original got minimal usage, so it is not a wear and tear thing.

Was I incorrect in thinking that the two had the same display? This new iPad is more like my iPhone4 in display than it is the original iPad.

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

In terms of resolution, the displays were the same in iPad and iPad 2. However, in this fast-moving world of tech, it's likely that the newer displays simply exhibit better display qualities than the previous year's model. Also, Apple does not limit itself to one display manufacturer - so it's conceivable that the quality of display may vary (however slightly) across manufacturers.

RTP.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

check your settings.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have noticed the display difference too. It is much improved although its still the same resolution. A friend of mine has the iPad 2 and we both compared screens.

Maybe I'll get lucky and he will get bored with it and want to trade :p

5. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

the difference is mostly because of the screen being laminated to the glass, which makes images/text look even clearer/sharper than before.

6. weespeed macrumors 6502

I have both and yeah the iPad 2 does look a lil crisper..
    I also think it's brighter too. When I have both side by side and brightness at the same level, the iPad2 is brighter, that may give the illusion it's better, but they both have the same resolution.

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4 is laminated to the glass, the iPad (1 and 2) are not. Wish it was, though... Wait for iPad 3! :)

8. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I upgraded from the first iPad, the iPad 2 is definitely better looking.

9. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Not sure why but I agree the iPad 2 looks better :confused:

10. Jimbogiant macrumors member

Interesting that you guys favor the iPad 2's screen quality when all of the objective measurements (brightness, contrast ratio, color gamut, etc) that I've come across seem to give the edge to the iPad 1 in most, if not all, of them. I personally haven't had the chance to compare them though.

11. BostonBrawler thread starter macrumors member

Honestly its not even a favor thing, there is a legitimate noticeable difference in the two displays.

Same resolution, but much brighter/crisper/detailed display.

12. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I personally compared my iPad 1 against iPad2, and the iPad 2 was clearly the brighter of the two and I preferred the colors from the iPad 2 as well.

Here's an early measurement from Anandtech:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4215/apple-ipad-2-benchmarked-dualcore-cortex-a9-powervr-sgx-543mp2/4

Long story short: there's a bigger difference between iPad 2 displays than it is between 1 and 2.

13. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I sense that seeing resolution improvements in iPad2s by iPad2 owners is sort of suspicious. Human nature wants to believe what it hopes to see. A "blind test" where you saw neither before and don't know which is which would be more believable.

14. blue43fan macrumors regular

Nope. The iPad 2's display is superior. It has the same resolution as the original, but in all other respects is the same quality as the iPhone 4's display.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/study-ipad-2-screen-is-as-good-as-iphones-despite-lower-specs/

15. Contiguous macrumors member

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I agree. I rarely used my iPad 1 because my 17" MBP display was so much better. The iPad 2's display is much better than the iPad 1.

17. blue43fan macrumors regular

I realize that, but the omission of any mention of the first generation iPad from the article seems to imply that the second gen has a different display. Why specifically state iPad 2 if both iPad displays are the same?