iPad1 vs. iPad3 in Speed and Performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Absolute-Zero, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Absolute-Zero macrumors newbie

Hello, I currently have an iPad1 and I have really started to notice how sluggish it is. I'm not talking about download or internet speed, but just overall performance and such.

- Safari crashes frequently and lags if I open more than 1 tab. It also stops opening tabs randomly.
    - Taps and gestures have a delayed reaction.
    - Everything including apps have a "load time".

Now I do realize that the iPad1 is really old now so it might just be that. So I was thinking of upgrading to the iPad3, but it concerns me that the iPad3 might also be sluggish. Not in the same way as the iPad1, but kinda... I don't really know how to say it. I mainly use my iPad1 to watch videos and do heavy internet browsing, but now its just becoming impossible.

Basically, I just want to know if the iPad3 is good in terms of speed and performance, especially when it comes to heavy internet browsing. I was also considering getting the Nexus7 to replace my iPad1 because from the looks of it, the Nexus7 is a screamer.

Not trying to start a flame war, but which is faster? The iPad3 or the Nexus7?

Thanks in advance.

2. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Nexus 7. Its a much better deal in price/performance. Android Jellybean is the best mobile OS out right now. It flies on the galaxy nexus with much lower hardware.

3. tbl, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

tbl macrumors member

tbl

I made the same move, from iPad 1 to iPad 3. All of the things you mentioned are imo taken care of. There's no noticeable lag, and apps load very quickly.

Whether you should get a Nexus 7 or iPad, I feel like it's certain that the new iPad will do what you want, albeit at a higher price. I haven't handled a Nexus 7, so I can't say it'll work perfectly, but the reviews suggest that it is just as capable as the new iPad and should be fine.

In the end, I think it'll come down to personal preference. 9 inches or 7, Android or iOS, etc. I feel that both tablets have enough speed and power to do heavy web browsing, and that "fast" shouldn't be a factor between the two tablets here.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The iPad 2 and iPad 3 both have a 1GHz dual-core Cortex A9 processor which is much faster than the 1GHz single-core A8 processor in the iPad 1, and both the 2 and 3 have 512MB and 1GB of RAM respectively which allows for more apps to remain saved in memory (for quick reloading of apps) and for more tabs to be stored in memory (less refreshing of tabs, crashing, etc.) so both will be significantly better than what you have now.

The Nexus 7 looks great but because of its size it's not as ideal for video or web browsing as the iPad or another 10-inch slate, unless you don't mind a smaller device for those things.

I'd recommend the iPad 2 16GB or the Nexus 7 16GB and then sell and grab the iPad 4 next year, it should be a real power house. (If you do opt for the iPad 2, you may find yourself with model 2,4 which can have the 32nm A5 (and thus better battery life) as long as you get the 16GB model, but it's quite possible you won't anyway.

5. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Big difference.

I jumped Ipad1 -> iPad3, and the performance of the new ipad met all my expectations. It is painful to go back to ipad1 and use safari now that ai have been using ipad3..

Do it, you won't regret it. Ipad3 is not sluggish at all. Everything is snappy, safari is far more stable, programs load faster.

Intellicast is a weather app that I really like, on ipad1, it sometimes could take 45 seconds to load, it is instantaneous on the ipad3.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Comparing the 1 and the 3 there is a big leap in performance. Now if you had not updated the iPad 1 to the latest OS, you would have a much smoother experience. That's why i'm going to wait and see before I update my iPad 2 with iOS 6.

7. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I switched from the iPad 1 to the iPad 3 when it came out and it is like night and day in speed and everything else.
    The only thing I miss is the form factor of the iPad 1 as I liked it better.
    But everything else is just awesome on the new iPad.

8. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I have both an iPad 1 and iPad 3. I find the iPad 1 almost unbreable in slowness and lag. On top of the, it's display lacks so much clarity when compared with the iPad 3.

To me the differences are huge, and I wouldn't wait for the 4th generation. The iPad 3 is worth an immediate move.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I couldn't imagine the iPad 3 not being noticeably better in all aspects from the original iPad.