All iPads IPad1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JWBII, May 6, 2013.

1. JWBII macrumors newbie

I read something here that made me want to ask the following question.

I gave my dad my first gen IPad when I got the 2. Now I have the 4 and am on the verge of selling my 2 for what I consider a great price. However I read just a few ago that the IPad1 no longer gets the updates unless jail broken. Not a big deal to me but what happens eventually if my dad can no longer update?

Will he no longer be able to use it eventually?

I would rather give him my ipad2 than sell and him be stuck with one that may no longer work here soon. If nothing really happens other than he can't get some of the newer apps that come out then maybe that's not that bad.

He mainly uses it to web surf, read books, and a few games. Not for work or anything like that.

I still don't want him to be stuck though. I wouldn't feel to good about that.

2. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

i think for what your dad normally does with his ipad, he's OK with the Ipad 1. the only problem with no new IOS support is for the new features that Apple will release but surfing, reading and occassional games, your dad will do just fine with the Ipad 1. you can sell your Ipad 2 and maybe down the road when you want to upgrade, that's the time that you can give your Ipad 4 to your dad.