ipad2, 16 or 32GB for music?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Nov 7, 2011.

1. marc55, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I was going to get the 16GB, but we have about 24GB of music and are not sure if we should put it on the ipad.

Right now we have it on a 32GB ipod touch, but am thinking that it would also be nice to have it on the ipad too so as to be able to listen to music while surfing, etc. I don't wnat to have to carry around the ipd touch and ipad just to listen to music, and the speakers in the ipad are much better too.

Additionally, I've ordered an AirPort Express to run music from the ipod touch to our stereo, and could also use the ipad for that too. Maybe there won't really be a need for the ipod tuch down the road!

So, just wondering how many of you guys purchased the higher GB's in order to have your music available.

Thank yoou

2. Mindy60 macrumors regular

My iPhone and iPod Touch are both 16GB and I can't fit all my music on it. So I got the 32GB iPad. All my music, audiobooks, and videos are on there. Not to mention apps, photos, and books, etc. It all takes up space. I also stream video which I am not sure how much space, if any, that takes. I'd think it would have to cache some of it.

I listen to music quite a bit when I am doing something, and it is nice to have all my music on there instead of picking and choosing. But to each their own.

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Most people like to have all their music with them.

I have lots of music and store it all on the backup drive. I just pick and choose so i go can do without the highest capacity device.

When iTunes match is launched it will allow me to have all my music in the cloud and only a few select albums for offline listening. Which suits me the best.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I'm in a different situation. Have about 16 gigabytes of music on the iPad (2400 songs) but only a tiny portion (about 100 songs) have been purchased through iTunes. iCloud won't help unless I'm willing to pay for the cloud storage.

5. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

iTunes match will solve your pirating woes since it'll match your pirated or legally bought songs with iTunes' own library

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Your post seems to imply that any music not bought from the iTunes music store is pirated. For all we know his collection is from his own CD collection which he ripped into iTunes.

I think he only brought up how little from his iTunes collection was purchased from iTunes store because only those tracks can you download to iOS devices for no additional charge. If you want your whole collection, including non iTunes store music, you have to pay for iTunes match.

Michael

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Certainly in my case I have always preferred physical CDs over online albums when possible, and I have a bookcase full of hundreds of CDs purchased over the years. I have ripped most of them to mp3, a painstaking and annoying process which I hope not to have to repeat.

Years ago, I did a lot of downloading of music (Usenet is/was chock full) but I deleted all that and came around (largely because I realized that I was downloading songs that I was never actually getting around to listening too -- hoarding, if you will -- so I decided to just get rid of it all.)

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I still tend to acquire my music on CD as well. Either that or Amazon music, which is often a little bit cheaper than iTunes.

Anyway, I purchased a 32GB because I figured that 16GB in general wouldn't be enough. And I was right. Though surprisingly its not media that has taken the bulk of my storage space, but apps.

9. Sandman1969, Nov 7, 2011

Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

You do realize music has been around longer than iTunes right? What a dumb/rude response!

I have almost 100GB of music so no iPad fills my needs of all my music. Which is why I have a 160GB classic when I want all my music.

Though, my 64 GB iPad holds all the music I listen to regularly. I have several playlists that I sync to my iPhone and several more on the iPad.

On an unrelated note, if you like Classical music, iTunes has the Best of for several cComposers. 100+ songs for $7.99. I went to download some for my kids and found those. Unbelievably good price.

10. bufffilm, Nov 7, 2011

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

you deserve a back-of-the-hand slap, not everyone gets their music electronically.

i'm old-school...i buy all my music on cd/dvd and then rip to my computer. and there's some artists that i like who either aren't represented or only have a small amount of catalog material in itunes/amazon music, etc. i won't even get into my vinyl collection...much of which isn't available digitally.

next time, stop making snap judgments...you just wind up looking foolish.
    as for the OP, i don't store any music on my ipad (i have the 32gb model, <2gb free). i keep all music on my ipod nano.

11. darngooddesign, Nov 7, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I like how you went straight for pirating without considering legally ripped music. Shame on you for being needlessly sensational. I have 300+GB of music and I would estimate that 3/4s is ripped while the rest is purchased.

iTunes match will only work with songs currently for sale on iTunes. I have already discovered that many albums and singles that I originally purchased are no longer offered.

Back on track, I have the 32 and should have gone for the 64GB so I don't have to down-sample my music to fit it and my apps.