iPad2 3G, cannot manage my account

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcfly2, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mcfly2 macrumors member

I got an iPad2 in March, and signed up for the free month of 3G access promotion that ATT was having. Now I want to manage my account, either cancel or modify my plan. On my iPad, when I go to Settings->Cellular Data->View Account, I get the message "Your account type does not support the view account feature."

My research tells me that this is happening because I have a post-paid rather than pre-paid account. Does anyone know if I can resolve this without a trip to the ATT store?

2. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

Further research tells me that I either need to call ATT, or go to a store, and I'll have better luck going to the store. If anyone else has any further information or advice, I'd appreciate it!

3. Tomacorno macrumors regular

I don't have advice...

But I am interested in what you find out. I saw the same promotion but there was not a real description of any consequences to going post paid vs pre paid. I sent them some feedback on what I felt was missing information and did not get a response.

4. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

I took a trip to the ATT store. Confirmed that the reason I can't manage the account is that I have a postpaid plan. The girl said she couldn't change my current plan to prepaid, but that she could cancel my current plan and create a new prepaid plan. But, if I signed up for the new prepaid plan, it would be active immediately, and I'd be billed for a month. My goal was to have the prepaid plan ready to go next time I wanted 3G data, but not to activate it now.

So I ended up canceling my postpaid plan. I'll have to call or visit the store to create a prepaid account next time I want data. So I didn't get far enough to see if they'd try to charge me for a new sim.

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

TO cancel post-paid plan you have to call ATT.

When you opened your post-paid didn't they give you a new sim card?

I received one, so when I canceled the free month I just tossed that sim card.

Used the that came with the iPad to activate the pre-paid from the settings in the iPad

6. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

No, activated it over the phone, never changed the sim that came with the ipad.

7. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Yes, unfortunately you will need to swap a SIM to go from prepaid to postpaid or vice versa..

You can call AT&T and cancel the post paid plan. A trip to the store for that isn't necessary.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

I didn't need a new SIM card for post-paid, but I started with a brand new iPad 2 that had never used 3G before. I called AT&T sales and they got everything activated over the phone.

9. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

They won't charge you if you allow them IN THE STORE to set up the account, so bring the iPad. If you take the SIM and have no device they will try to charge you for the SIM.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

To make changes (or to cancel) a post-paid account, you have to contact AT&T. You can't do it directly from the iPad.

Viewing data usage on a post-paid iPad account is done like if you had an iPhone -- login to your account on the AT&T website or use the myAT&T iOS app.