ipad2 3G Data Over Usage, Need Help Please!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 88 King, Aug 25, 2011.

1. 88 King, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Hi,

I have a 5GB per month data plan with TalkMobile. They are charging me for close to £500 for using 9.5Gb of data between 1st to 13th of July, even though my data usage app only recorded 2.4GB used. I’ve finally received a print out of my bill (14 pages), I’ve noticed something very strange and would like some help please?

Here is a segment of my bill:

Time Number Called Duration Cost

08:00 TKCONTRACT 48:50 0.238
    08:00 TKCONTRACT 48:49 0.238
    08:00 TKCONTRACT 48:49 0.238

Based on the cost of £0.10/mb overuse fee, the sim card was receiving 24kb of data between 6 to 11 times every minute. This cycle repeat itself 60 times an hour and 24 hours a day. :confused:

The sim card used up extra 4.5Gb of data in 20hrs between 12th to 13th (7 pages of itemized bill) before TalkMobile suspended my service.

The tablet spent most the time at home on WIFI, I’ve only used the 3G for streaming video podcasts (2.4GB). The carrier’s attitude seems to be the data was used so I’ve to pay them, they refused to going into detail on what was sent and received.

I’m not willing to pay the extra charges unless I find out the course of the strange data usage. Can you guys please suggest some ideas on how to find a solution for my problem?

Thanks for reading this long post.

P.S. Around that time, I was getting popup messages from the carrier to download 3G settings for the ipad even though I was able to get onto the internet. However, the process always fails, I wounder if this process was repeating itself in the background without me knowing.

2. jamaggic macrumors member

here in US we were having that issue with iphone. while plugged in and "sleeping" the phone would spontaneously use up data allotment. When not being used the iphone reverts to cell data even if next to wifi access point. i don't know for sure but I would guess that the ipad acts the same way. there was much discussion concerning this on the blogs but no good answers. what I did when charging was to turn off autolock so it would never sleep while charging and that stopped the mysterious data transfer. about six months ago my iphones stopped any autonomous data transfer on their own. so it remains a mystery.

3. 88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

Thanks for the info, I’ve tried to find the thread of the blog but haven’t had any luck.

I’d grateful if anybody can post a link.

My next step is to get the IP address on where the data went, so I can trace back to the responsible party. As I can see, there are 3 possibilities, the carrier; 3rd party app or Apple native app.

Which every way, I find unreasonable to pay the extra charge on data I've not knowingly used.