iPad2 3G -- Need advice from people in Italy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fraaaa, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Hi,

I'm going to buy an iPad2 3G for my mother that lives in Italy. It's going to be a substitute for a 6+ PC with tower that runs WinXP that is very inconvenient for my mother.

She always wanted a laptop for mobility and I thought of getting her an iPad2 because I believe will be more convinient for her -- beside she just uses emails, facebook, general browsing and skype.

However, she occasionally leaves during the summer and she wanted to buy an internet usb dongle to use the with her future computer so that she can stay in touch with me.

My question is:
    Can I buy an iPad2 3G without any network and buy a sim card to be activated only for a month with Vodafone and 3 in Italy?

She has already WiFi at home, so she doesn't need internet on the go for most part of the year.

Thanks

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I don't know how much this will help but the iPad isn't locked down to a specific carrier for the sim cards. When I was in Italy I was able to use the 3ITA and Vodafone 3G connections using an AT&T sim card. I assume that if you buy the iPad 3G with whatever sim they give you (as long as it is an AT&T iPad not Verizon) she should have no problems.

3. gpat macrumors 6502a

Italian here. Yes, you can. Most plans are prepaid, and the iPad is sold only without carriers, so no problem.

4. Fraaaa thread starter macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

If there are prepaid/no contract sims is great. Thanks for helping me out.