Ipad2 - 3G version or tethering in the UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ptaylor9, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ptaylor9 macrumors member

Hey all,
    I am looking to buy an iPad 2 in the next month or so, but can't decide on the model with regards to 3G or not.
    Since I always have my phone on me, I figured I could save myself about £100 on the device and add tethering to my O2 plan.
    It looks like tethering will only cost about £9 a month, whereas an iPad tariff is about £15-25.
    Does anyone else do this, and have you had an issues?
    The only thing i'm concerned about is that the o2 network seems to be dying a death with regards to data speeds these days..
    Hmm....
    Hope someone can offer their experience?
    Cheers

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Tricky! With personal hotspot iPad tethering is great. New O2 data deals include tethering, so you should be able to upgrade to that for very little money (for me an extra £1.50).

I'm on O2 and their network is ok, but that's it. My gf is on 3 which is much better. So if you do go 3G iPad I recommend them. I'll be switching my iPhone to them when I can!

3. ptaylor9 thread starter macrumors member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.
    My problem seems to be that I have one of the old school unlimited data tariffs form years ago, and there doesnt seem to be much info on that. I have emails o2 support but have yet to hear anything.
    I'm thinking of going with T-Orange in September when my contract is up, I have heard good things about roaming between the two networks.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Good luck with O2 email support, they are rubbish!

I thought Tmobile-Orange only had roaming on 2G networks, not 3G? Or has that changed?

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Three offer an iPad tariff for £7.50 each month for 1gb. By far the best deal and I've had nothing but great experience with it.

6. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I went for wifi only, because I wanted to save the cash. I'm fortunate to have a wifi network I can log into when I'm at work, most of the time, but if I need to get internet access when I'm only in a 3g area, tethering to my Vodafone iP4 works brilliantly. My contract is a business one, so it has free tethering, but I'd certainly recommend them.

Tiptopp

7. ptaylor9 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all,
    I think i'm going to go the WiFi only route then, the extra for 3G is a lot when I can use it to get more storage.
    Now my only concern is that iPad3 story on the front page :(

8. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

If you want 3G and like to save some money, 2nd hand ipad 2 is a good solution.

I picked up a 32Gb 3G with smartcover on ebay for over £100 cheaper than new price, its in mint condition and only a month old, remaining warranty is also included.

I never liked teething as its a workaround to the lack of 3G problem and not the solution. Also speed its not as fast as native 3G and it kills the host phone battery in not time.

P.S. I highly doubt a new ipad is likely to come in September.