ipad2 3g versus wifi

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sst, Mar 8, 2011.

1. sst macrumors newbie

looking to buy an iPad 2. contemplating whether to buy the 3g version (AT&T) or just the wifi version. these are my questions.

1. could i use the mobile hotspot (AT&T) that is coming with iOS 4.3 to let my iPad 2 tether off of my iPhone 4? (I thought that when the initial iPad came out it was not allowed to get a data connection from the iPhone.)

2. would there be any data download speed differences and/or connectivity issues between an iPad 2 tethering off an iPhone 4 (if number 1 is correct above) versus an iPad 2 with 3G built in? (especially while using one on the highway, ie my wife streaming netflix on a car trip)

I know the main differences would be obviously the cost of an iPad 2 with 3g built in and the ease of being able to turn on and off the 3G data plan on the iPad 2. Turning off the tethering may be more painful and may not be practical to do on an iPhone 4 from a month to month scenario.

thanks for any advice for a first time poster.

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

1. Hot spot tethering uses wifi so should be fine with the iPad - it'll just appear like a local wireless network.

2. Speed will effectively be the same.

Personally, I'd go for the 3G iPad. That gives you full control over when you want to pay for 3G service and it means you won't have to kill your iPhone's battery lifetime for hotspot usage. I don't like the idea of having to pay for data you've already paid for in terms of iPhone 4 tethering - especially considering the 'tethering' fees cost just as much as separate data contracts.

3. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Tethering vs Direct 3g

For me I have and Android phone and can tether free.
    WiFi only iPad2 for me.

4. wacomme macrumors regular

How do you set-up tethering without a USB port on the ipad?

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I was lucky enough to buy Netshare years back for my iPhone and it still works. I've used it a couple of times with my MacBook Pro but I still prefer using a dedicated 3G PayG dongle so that battery life doesn't get munched on the iPhone (unless I've got a charger cable with me too).