iPad ipad2 and ios 8.3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by honeycombz, Apr 9, 2015.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

worth upgrading to? have not upgraded my ipad2 to ios8 yet. wondering if it might be fine to do so now?

2. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I upgraded on day one of iOS 8.0, mainly because I am an earlier adopter, and while performance dropped, for me the features made it worthwhile. 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 have gradually improved things but I feel it still feels a bit slower than 7.1.2.

To answer your question, if you need the new features/ security updates and you can put up with a bit of degraded performance, and general iOS 8 instability (though 8.3 has fixed this a bit) then go ahead. If not probably don't.

3. peroni macrumors newbie

In my opinion 7.1.2 is already quite slow, requiring the ipad2 to be rebooted regularly to get back on form.
    If ios 8.3 makes it even slower I see no reason to update

4. mickeydean macrumors 6502

My iPad 3 (notoriously slow) is much better on 8.3. Grain of salt.

5. The Man macrumors 6502

I have a iPad mini, which has the same A5 processor as the iPad 2. I find 8.3 to be very good. I'm an early adopter of iOS 8. The early version was disappointing. But the point upgrades made a difference. And now with 8.3, it feels good. If you really want iOS 8, now is a good time. Some apps even require iOS 8. Of note, though, is that I can't remember how iOS 7 was like. I can only say iOS 8.3 is what iOS 8.0 should have been. But then again, iOS 7.1 was what iOS 7.0 should have been. ;) It just took Apple longer to get there with iOS 8.

I still have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1. Now that A4 processor does feel sluggish. But it's acceptable as a "feature phone" -- I can't call it a smartphone anymore :) as it doesn't sync with iCloud Drive.

6. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Just upgrade my ipad 2 to 8.3....very slow!

I've noticed a significant slow-down with iOS 8.3 on my iPad 2, with the possible exception of Safari.

I often get the display momentarily freezing in "zoomed" mode when going from an app to the home page. Mail response takes several seconds to actually show any messages.

Would I get a better experience if I did a factory reset and just reinstalled everything? Is there any difference to manually reinstalling everything to restoring my iCloud backup?

Thanks!

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Hmmmm. We have an iPad 2 in the house and it's running good with the latest OS. To answer your question, YES, resetting a starting over does seem to help people with performance issues. Sometimes. Can't hurt, that's for sure.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Try a settings reset - that seems to help without having to erase everything!

If that doesn't work, a clean install then reinstalling manually is generally does.

9. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Factory reset + restore fixed it for me :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I did a factory reset and then restored from my iTunes backup, and performance is at least as good (possibly a tad better) that my previous 7.1.2 installation. It was a pretty painless fix.

The iPad 2 is still a bit slow, but at least it's usable now.

Thanks!

10. peroni macrumors newbie

Contrary to what I thought, upgrading to IOS 8.3 from 7.1.2 has made things better.
    This is not a fresh install but a plain over-the-air upgrade.
    I was expecting extreme slowness and was pleasantly surprised.

Ipad 2 still going strong, thanks Apple!