iPad2 and Windows

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nelly22, Dec 6, 2011.

1. nelly22 macrumors 6502

Hi

I'm going to buy iPad2 and if i understand correctly, i cannot video chat to Windows users using Facetime???

What app i need to install to iPad to do this?

It should be easy to use and if possible, i could install most used people directly to iPad Home screen, so i can start new video call using just one click.

How much video chat takes internet bandwidth? I need to know so i can get fast enough data plan.

Thanks

2. nelly22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Any other good alternatives?

Does all these video-voip apps allow to add person to iPad home screen for easy one click access?

3. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Nope. You gotta launch the App to talk to the person.

I've used Skype on the iPad. Video chat works really well, text chatting does not but then that's why you got other alternatives like YIM, MSN, Twitter, Facebook... yadda yadda yadda.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use Tango, it has iOS, android, windows mobile and windows pc apps. A A mac osx app is due by the end of the year last I heard.

The nice thing is that it uses push notifications, so you don't have to have it running to receive a video call. It also allows video calls over 3G.

I wish FaceTime was more universal, but this app is a good substitute.

5. nelly22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Can i call from Tango to Skype?

Are there any video chat apps other than Skype, which allows me to call to Skype users too?

6. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

Not that I am aware of. Skype is definitely one of the better solutions. It's free to use if you want to do video calls or Skype to Skype calls. I use it all the time to chat with my friend in France. Quality is great and I've had very few problems with it.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

My husband travels a lot overseas (Europe Middle East and Far East). I travel a lot just in the US. We use Skype a lot more than FaceTime since I'm not on wifi much of the time and I can use Skype over 3G. Sometimes his wifi isn't great and it gets sluggish. So we just turn off the video.

8. Mdifilm macrumors regular

You can do Tango now, they just released the pc software