iPad2 as a gift & account questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ktoey, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ktoey macrumors newbie

I bought a new iPad2 as a gift to my 6 yr niece overseas. My plan is to loads as many apps as I can before leaving LA. Do you see any complication if later on her parents set up another account to buy more apps and snych to a different computer ?. Possibly locked because it is the same as being stolen.

2. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

WHy not talk to her parents about setting up a new itunes/icloud account for her. That you use to load it up with apps and what not. They just use that going forward?

3. ktoey thread starter macrumors newbie

There are several reasons:
    I have reliable FIOS connection here and I would like to choose the apps while I am here ( mostly educational ).
    I am afraid that some of the apps may not be available overseas because licensing issues.
    I looked into Barnes & Nobles Nook Color but was told that you can only buy apps in the US !. As soon as step out of the US, I cannot buy. Crazy eeh !.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

1) It's not determined by where you're physically, but what country of method of payment is. 2) Unless you are willing to share your iTunes account password, you should open a new account.

The best way is to use iTunes gift cards bought from the US, and open a new account using any US address. Your niece can continue to buy apps from the US store until funds run out. She can continue to sync with icloud. She could also connect to computer, by authorizing it with her account and transferring all app purchases. But she will need internet one way or another.

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I bought my father an iPad and set it up with my iTunes account. Bought a few apps and loaded them also with my account. There were a few problems.

Before I gave it to him, I set up an iTunes account for him, switched the iPad to his account.
    Before he synced it there were updates for some of the apps, he had to switch back to my account to get the updates for the apps I bought , then switch back to his account for the ones he had bought.

When he synced it with his iTunes on his computer he got a message that you can only have it synced with one iTunes account. It deleted the apps I bought and put on with my account. I contacted Apple customer support and begged them to take pity on two senior citizens that were first time iTunes users and fix it for me, they did and said it was a one time thing.

It would be much less confusing to do what the previous poster suggested. Set up an account for her, use a gift card and your address. You can load everything you want while at your home, just don't sync it with your iTunes account. Her parents can change the payment method later, or keep reloading gift cards.