iPad2 at 4.3, way to restore without upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by gnychis, Mar 26, 2011.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

I just received my iPad 2 and it has 4.3 installed on it. I want to restore it to my iPad 1's settings, but to do so it wants to restore and update. I don't want to update to 4.3.1 so as if a jailbreak for 4.3 gets released I can use it. Is there a way to restore without updating?

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Download TinyUmbrella on yr computer and see if you can still store the 4.3 SHSH blobs

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

"Restore from backup" and "restore firmware" are two distinct processes. You can do one without doing the other. To restore your iPad 1 backup to iPad 2, connect to iTunes, right click on the iPad icon, and select "restore from backup." Backup should be restored without updating the firmware. If at any point iTunes asks to update, just click cancel, no thanks, or whatever other options they have other than yes or ok.

4. Dav1 macrumors 6502

I don't have an iPad2 but I believe this is not a good thing to do, they are not the same device. I don't see an option to restore my iPhone 4 to my iPad, and I would not expect an option to restore an iPad 1 to an iPad 2...

5. grither macrumors newbie

i cannot get restore to work on my brand new ipad2...

i have a jb ipad 1 on 4.2.1 fully backed up. When i right click on my new ipad2 and look for restore from back, there are no backups identified. also if edit- preferences- devices there are no backups listed.

i am on the latest itunes...

any advice for me? all my research says all you have to do is back up the old ipad, and then restore the new ipad from that backup but isnt working for me...

ps i realize that my jb apps won't be restored, and i'm fine with that... i just want all my other settings to transfer

6. Dav1 macrumors 6502

I really think you don't want to do this, they are two different devices, with two different iOS versions. In my opinion you will need to restore your iPad 2 at some point in the future to correct the issues you create by doing this. That is why it is not shown as an option...

7. grither macrumors newbie

generally i agree about a fresh start but i've got probably 40gb tied up in Comic Zeal and Goodreader alone... if i just install these from scratch, i will have to rebuild my libraries manually and then reload them... if i restore, all my 'hand picked' comics will just restore as part of the big restore...

for what its worth, at the apple store when i bought ipad2 they did say to just backup 1 and restore to 2....but like i said not working for me. i suppose the jb might have something to do with it?

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Of course you can restore an iPad to an iPad 2! I restored my iPhone 2G to my iPhone 3G to my iPhone 3GS to my iPhone 4.

9. Dav1 macrumors 6502

If you plug in your iPad1 are your backups listed for it? My guess is that they are. I still think this is a bad idea, but here are Apple's instructions....

1. Backup Your Old iPad

The first step in migrating is to back up your original iPad. To do this, simply plug it into your computer. If iTunes doesn't launch automatically, launch iTunes and then sync your iPad. Additionally, you can choose not to sync, but only back up by right-clicking on the iPad in iTunes and choosing Back Up from the contextual menu.

So if you do this, do you now see your backup listed?

This backup is important - it will preserve your iPad's settings and saved data. It will not, however, back up your installed applications, music, movies, or photos. This must be done by syncing the iPad later in the process.

2. Prepare Your New iPad

This is the easiest step. Simply plugging it in to your computer and making sure iTunes is open will take care of it.

3. Restore.

With your iPad plugged in to your computer, within the iTunes interface, you should be presented with the option of setting up your iPad as a new device, or restoring from a backup. If for some reason you aren't presented with these options, then you can simply right-click (or option-click) your new iPad in iTunes, and select "restore from backup" in the contextual menu that follows.

iTunes will now make a copy of your backup, and use the copy to configure your new iPad with your old iPad's settings.

4. The First Sync: The Waiting Game

After the initial backup, your iPad will restart and begin syncing for the first time. It's important not to interrupt this, as iTunes is now migrating all your applications, music, movies, photos, and settings to the new iPad, carefully making sure to preserve their position on the home screen and in their respective folders. Interrupting the transfer might result in apps being out of place or content not being transferred to your new device.

10. Zermelo macrumors regular

Wow, you couldn't be any more wrong.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, different devices and different OS versions shouldn't be a problem. I've restored backups from iPod touch to iPhone back to touch to next gen touch to iPad 1 to iPad 2. All with no problem whatsoever.

If restore from backup isn't showing up as an option, it's because your backup is corrupt or was deleted.

12. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Actually there has been more than once when a restore between iOS versions on the same device created issues, that backup is not perfect always...

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, but it's not like it ALWAYS causes a problem. IMO, considering the hassle of restoring all the settings, and the inconvenience of losing app data, it just feels like a good idea to try the restore from backup first, then if problems crop up, you can always do a full restore and start fresh.

14. grither macrumors newbie

OK hang on maybe i do have a different problem... i can't see my backups from either ipad!!!! I'll try to make a new backup and ensure at least i can see it with the old Ipad

15. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

4.3.1 will be jail broken.

When a jailbreak is finally released it will work with 4.3.1 so I don't think it is even worth the hassle you are going through......

16. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You can "restore from backup" from an iPad 1 backup to an iPad 2. The iPad 1's backup has to be the same or lower iOS version for it to work. I did this when I purchased my iPad 2. It works. :)

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Make sure you have the most recent version of iTunes. iTunes needs to be updated to support 4.3.

18. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Ignore this! Do not update to 4.3.1 until a 4.3.1 jailbreak is release. Stay on your current firmware version!!!

19. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

20. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Agreed.