iPad2 AT&T Vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by michaelz, Mar 2, 2011.

1. michaelz macrumors regular

Which carrier will you choose, AT&T or Verizon for the 3G version?

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'm going with VZW because AT&T doesn't have 3G where I live. I just want to know what the plans on VZW will be, like if they'll be the 30 day plans like AT&T.

3. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

I want to say go with verizon, but all those speed tests Ive seen for iphone 4 att vs verizon show the ATT network is faster so WTF? I have no clue which to get either.

why cant they just make one that's universal to both vendors.:confused:they said the broadcom chip in the verizon iphone 4 supports both, so why couldnt they do it for the ipad2?

4. michaelz thread starter macrumors regular

I am in the same boat. Need to figure this out before apple takes online orders...

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Verizon iPhone 4 has better battery life than the ATT one.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Where did you get that info from? All things being equal (which the iPhone 4 & iPad 2 should be) GSM gets better battery life than CDMA.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

If I was going to buy one I'd get the vzw one just to get rid of that horrid GSM buzzing from my radios when I get into an edge area.

8. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

I'm getting the AT&T one. I have the AT&T iPhone 4 and its worked fine for me, I have no reason or desire to go Verizon. (the only Big Red I like is the chewing gum :) )

9. sakamoto.ryouma macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience using an America-purchased iPad in Japan? I travel there regularly and wondered if either the AT&T or Verizon iPad2 might be able to be used over there.

I believe that an AT&T iPhone can connect to Japan's NTT phone network, but not sure if iPads would work that way, too.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm probably not getting the iPad 2 and even less likely to get the 3g version, but if I did then I would go with Verizon. Verizon works underground in the metro system here, but AT&T only works at select stations. It would be a simple decision for me.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

12. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Is there any info on what plans Verizon will be offering? Right now their web page still talks about the external devices you'd need to use it with iPad 1, doesn't seem to be updated yet. I don't know if they're likely to offer new plans or not.

13. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Without having to worry about dropped calls, I'd say the AT&T version is the smart bet for iPad unless you live in an area without good 3G coverage. The data speeds are significantly faster on AT&T. And hopefully those of us with the original iPad and unlimited data can carry that plan over to the new iPad?

14. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I would imagine you could just pop your sim in it.

15. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I'd say look at coverage. Based on my experience with my iPad 1, when you are out of AT&T 3G, the speed is horrible on EDGE, even worse than 1X with Verizon. I could barely bring up Facebook.

Also depends on what plans Verizon offer!

16. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

the ATT version should be same as the Softbank version, which runs UMTS although if you buy the USA model, the Baseband might be locked for ATT only even if you swap out the microsim cards.

I was thinking about this too since my wife travels back and forth to japan, but since the data roaming rates are crazy high, I told her to stick with Wifi only while in japan.

17. rx4success2012 macrumors newbie

Coverage map views

Based on these coverage views which would you get? ATT or Verizon? I have a nook and I don't get very good excellent coverage with it and it uses ATT 3G. I have to walk around my yard in order to use it. I do live in the coverage zone of Verizon but you can see how it might be spotty since I'm right on the edge. ATT is EDGE but when you look at voice coverage which obviously the ipad wont do, I'm in the moderate color.

Attached Files:

18. deadwalrus macrumors regular

The carriers probably told them it would be a cold day in hell before they allow themselves to have to compete head-to-head like that.

19. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Unfortunately, I will have to go with ATT, while their cell service absolutely SUCKS in NYC, and the reason I got a Verizon I4, the data speeds for ATT are so much better than Verizon.

I was kinda hoping to get rid of them for good!

20. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Do you need to carry that extra thing around for Verizon like the iPad 1?
    Or will the iPad 2 work by itself on Verizon?

21. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

no... the new ipads support verizon cdma. the old ipad1 was designed for gsm/umts only which is why u needed that mifi router thing to convert to wifi. I thought that was the lamest thing ever.:rolleyes:

22. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

23. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

How much is 1GB of Data on Verizon?
    I mean...I have no idea how much web surfing/data that equivalents to?

24. iomcamaross2010 macrumors member

will verizon have an unlimited data plan? if not ill just get the wifi one and use my 4g hotspot.

25. dogcowdaddy macrumors newbie

One other consideration would be if you are going to travel with your iPad. With the GSM model which is unlocked you can pop in a sim from whatever country you are in and have relatively cheap 3G data. With the Verizon version you are going to be stuck without mobile data in most countries.

I have kind of split the difference, with att on my iPad and Verizon for phone with the mobile hotspot. It has been helpful to have two different sources of data on numerous occasions.

FWIW

Jim