iPad2 Battery Life vs iPad1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rick America, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Rick America macrumors member

I have had an iPad1 (64GB, Wifi-only) since day for over a year now. While I love a lot of things about it, one of the things I am always amazed with is the battery life --- well in excess of the advertised limit.

I recently picked up an iPad2 (also 64GB, Wifi-only) and have been using it for some 3 weeks now. In my opinion, the battery life is significantly less. In fact, if I leave it in "sleep mode" and come back a few hours later --- with no multi-tasking tasks active at all --- it is not unusual to see the battery level 15% - 20% below where it had been.

I had hoped the new release of iOS would address this...for me, at least, it did not. I brought it back to the Apple Store Genius Bar and the tech offered to replace it when they get refreshed stock.

Is the isue my particular iPad2 or are other iPad2 owners )who have had experience with iPad1 in comparison) seeing the same thing?

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

try and recalibrate the battery.

drain it and let it fully charge. don't touch it till its done.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Do you have Push Emails and Push Notifications turned ON?

the iPad has a 10Hr battery life and a 30 Day stand-by time, so it shouldn't be dropping 15%-20% after just a few hours of no activity, I wouldn't consider that normal.

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

I think my iPad 2 is close to the same as my iPad 1 but if anything it may be a little less. I've always suspected the "10 hour looped video battery test" that people like to use is a little bogus because video playback is handled mostly by the GPU and it's generally not using the dual core CPU that everything else in the iPad (apps, games, browsing, etc) leverages. I'd be interested to see a more thorough battery test involving games and browsing.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I didn't post this comment before because I didn't have my iPad on hand with me, but I just checked it and it is currently at 78% (8:45am), when I went to bed last night at 1am it was at 80% and my sister is having surgery today and we FaceTimed for about 15 minutes before she left to the Hospital around 5:30am this morning.

So again, I wouldn't consider it normal if it is dropping 15%-20% after just a few hours of non-use, mine dropped 2% in the last 8 hours and I managed to make a video call in between.

6. Rick America thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the thoughts.

When I left for the office this morning, it was at 94%. Now, when I got home, about 10 hours later, it is at 85%. Both push e-mail and notifications are on, but they are on in my iPad1 too so I suspect that may not be it.

Looks like a trip back to the Genius Bar...