All iPads iPad2 Bricked?

crashdetective

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
I bought an iPad2 in good faith that it wasn't stolen (and I am still sure it hasn't been!) but the previous owner is clueless as to what the Apple Id and password was.

It is stuck on looking for the original ID/pass after updating to IOS 7.

Is is irrevocably bricked?

Cheers.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
I bought an iPad2 in good faith that it wasn't stolen (and I am still sure it hasn't been!) but the previous owner is clueless as to what the Apple Id and password was.

Cheers.
i thought you could plug it into a computer and set it up as a new iPad?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It isn't bricked. iOS devices cannot be bricked. A bricked iOS device shows no signs of life at all. Even a lit up screen is a sign that it can be restored, barring hardware problems. Only that device's original owner can restore that iPad.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Cheers.
It's not bricked, but you certainly can't activate it without the Apple ID and password. If they don't know it, it's probably stolen. Or if they just don't want to give it to you, they can login to iCloud.com go to find my iPhone and remove the iPad 2 from there, allowing you to activate it.

dsquarius90

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Have you tried to restore it while in DFU mode?

http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/04/ipad-dfu-mode/

Also, the previous owner "not knowing" the Apple ID sounds verrrrry fishy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.