iPad2 - Charging in auto - 2011 Honda Accord

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iGlock, Jan 8, 2012.

1. iGlock macrumors newbie

I love my iPad2 with 3G. This is a recent upgrade from iPad1 which I gave my wife and now she's lost in iPad world.

I'm using my iPad more now that I have 3G. Especially as a GPS - love it! Problem is when I plug it into any of three power outlets it tells me it's not charging. My iPhone charges but not my iPad.

Is the power outlet not strong enough to charge the iPad? Any solutions? I do have a HyperMac external power unit I could use if that's my only alternative.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Aspasia, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Could be you have a defective charger. You're using the one that came with it, right? The 10-watt power adapter.

[Edited to add I obviously goofed and didn't realize the OP was attempting to charge the device in his vehicle]

3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I am not sure the exact power requirement, but I know our Equinox's USB connection will not charge the iPad. I have a 2011 Accord Coupe, but haven't tried to charge the iPad. Just my iPhone.

Probably the same as our Chevy. Not strong enough. It needs to be a high-powered USB 2.0 connector.

My son's old PC wouldn't charge the iPad either.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060

You might be able to get a "Cigarette" adapter to USB to charge them.... Maybe...

4. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Note you'll need something like this, iPad Charger note the 2.1 amp rating. You can use this one to charge both an iPad and an iPhone at the same time. Only one port will however charge an iPad, so it will not work to charge both yours and your wife's iPads at the same time. Hope that helps.