iPad2 Finally Evolutionizing HOME Video Calling...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Andrew K., Mar 2, 2011.

1. Andrew K., Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

Andrew K. macrumors 65816

First off YES their have been and are Video Phones in the past. This is why I'm saying the iPad2 is "Evolutionizing" home video calling with facetime and of course not 'revolutionizing' it.

Think about it. All the other video phones had a hard time entering the market and have failed along with the death of the landline phone. Now with the mass appeal and projected selling margins of the iPad2 this will recreate the lost video calling phone we all wanted for the future.

You might say "But everyone is using Skype on their computers or facetime on their iphones now anyway."

Yes, but think about the convenience an iPad2 has. It can be setup in any room and has more a viewable screen area than a phone. Set it up with the new Smartcover and BAM! You have a video phone!

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The main reason I'm getting the iPad is for my family to Facetime easier. We Facetime all the time with the iPhone4. I now use my MBP, which is nice. The iPad will provide the same portable large screen throughout the house. I agree that Facetime will become more and more of the standard as more of these Facetime devices land in everyone's hands.

The only problem is, some people are anti-Apple, and will never own an Apple product. These people are not currently available to call via Facetime. Therefore, I'm hopeful Apple will develop apps for other platforms...BUT I doubt that will ever happen.

3. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

True and other tablets this year have forward facing cameras, I'm saying Apple will popularize this idea and most likely Skype would be able to be used across different hardware devices.

4. fishcube macrumors 6502

So, can one use the facetime using the wifi only version, and calling someone with Ipad using wifi?

or what about a wifi version calling a iphone 4?

5. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

I will move up to iPad 2 only if it will support Skype video calling. Couldn't care less about face time.