iPad2 for movie editing and storage,

Discussion in 'iPad' started by charlyee, Mar 9, 2011.

1. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Hello here, I just joined. :)

I am looking to get an iPad2 and use it to download HD video from my camcorder, edit it, view it, play it on my TV and eventually put them on an external drive.

I have been doing some reading on this and it seems I should be able to do everything (with available accessories), except off load to external storage.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is my assumption correct?

2. How would I be able to off load the movies?

My other alternative would be the Macbook Air, but then I lose portability and I don't really need another full blown laptop.

Thanks much.

2. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

On my iPhone I just to upload the files to dropbox. You can also sync with iMove on your computer when you sync your iPad/iPhone with iTunes.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it looks like you might benefit more from a Desktop/Laptop computer instead of an iPad.

4. Bootstrap Bill macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. The iPad 2 is much smaller than my laptop and has a much better battery life.

Is it possible to transfer content from my camera to the iPad 2 on the road, without using a computer?

How does iMovie compare to Adobe Premiere or After Effects?

5. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Thanks, I was hoping to cut the computer out of the equation.
    Yes, for sure. I use my laptop now, but the portability of the iPad is fantastic, specially when travelling and having to do things on the fly.

6. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

I believe I have that figured out, yes you can with the Camera Connection Kit, which is $29.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It depends on your video camera's file format. I'm not sure what formats the iPad supports, but it can not play videos imported from my Canon Rebel T2i (They are h.264 in a mov container, but the 720p video is at 60 fps and the iPad 1 can't play 1080p content.) So it just shows a .MOV icon rather than a frame from the video.

They may have added more formats in iPad 2 software since it is getting iMovie but no one will know until they try.

I am probably getting one Friday and will get the new iMovie app as well to try it out. I am hoping since they added 1080P video output that it will support some new formats but you never know...

8. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Thanks for the details.

I have the Canon VIXIA HF10, do you know if that will work?

I guess trying it out would be the best way, but I hate returning "toys". lol

9. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think your HF10 stores and transfers its video as MTS files, which are not likely to work with your iPad. I think you're stuck with using a laptop to acquire video from your camera.

10. charlyee thread starter macrumors 6502

charlyee

Yes, it is MTS files, that's not good, back to the drawing board I guess.

How about the MacBook Air, will that work? That appears to be the lightest and offers some portability.

11. malcore macrumors newbie

Speed of access to cloud storage

I teach in public school and am looking to purchase many iPad 2 devices. We look forward to working with iMovie but are concerned about storage of video files.
    When accessing video files from DropBox, does the lag of a network impede the workflow?
    If students were to take video on the iPad, is it feasible that they store all of their video in the cloud until the next chance they have to edit video in iMovie on iPad?
    With only 16GB hard drive, we can't have students leaving video files on the devices long.
    Other ideas on how to handle video storage for school setting?

12. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Yes, that should work. For your purposes, I'd totally recommend a Macbook Air or even a 13" Macbook Pro over an iPad.

13. esmode macrumors member

On Dropbox, you download the entire file to work on it, and in your case upload it when you are done. The amount of time you spend waiting depends on the speed and capacity of your network, but you can't do any work while it happens. If somebody is doing this with their iPhone, it's generally going to be because the video clips are small, otherwise that is a terrible workflow.

Another thing to consider is if the students are going to be doing this in class all at the same time as each other. I doubt your network will perform very well during that time. The Dropbox service isn't particularly fast at dealing with large files as it is. Also, free Dropbox accounts are only 5gb. Anymore than that and you will have to pay a monthly fee for each student.

A notebook, would be a far superior tool for this job, even without the storage issue. If you did use a 16gb iPad, you probably want to sync it with iTunes, which will require a computer anyways. Furthermore, you will need a computer with iTunes to set up each device, update it, and restore it. So basically you would be buying your students a tablet that requires them to have a computer that is probably better at video editing and storage than what you gave them.