iPad2 Games - Any news of them yet?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Piggie, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I assume some devs close to Apple have been working for a while with the new device and it's dual core CPU and much faster GPU.

Has anyone heard any sneeky leaks about any such games in the pipeline for perhaps release just after the iPad2 goes on sale to the public?

I'm imagine any iPad2 only game would instantly rocket direct to the No.1 position in the charts as obviously anyone with the new model is going to see just what it's capable of.

I know that's the 1st thing I'd want to see, things that are specifically designed to work with my new purchase.

Any devs out there want to say if they have something very special coming up, or, as I said above, anyone hear any rumours so far?

2. iPadLad macrumors member

iPadLad

Thats a good question. You'd think that with more computing power you'd get better games but I haven't really heard anyone mention any new games. At least no one has started marketing them as iPad2 games that I know of

3. JulianL macrumors 65816

I was surprised to not see at least one game featured during the keynote since that would be the way to really show what the extra CPU and GPU power can deliver. Maybe for a game that's capable of using the full power of the iPad 2 the development cycle would have been too long and there was no one that Apple trusted enough to not leak the specs during that long time that the games developer would have had to have access to the hardware.

One possibility would be for Apple to host some of a games company's development team at Cupertino to work on the stuff that actually needs access to the hardware, I've worked on such projects myself, but I guess that it wasn't done in this case.

- Julian

4. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually I think Apple are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this and don't know what to do.

They have never been in this area before and it's uncharted territory for them in a way.

As an example, lets look at the PS3 and XBox360 as comparisons which is quite good to relate a iPad2 to.

All 3 systems, iPad2, PS3, Xbox360 are enhancements to an earlier version.

All 3 systems can run the software from the earlier generation product.

Xbox360 launched, and had titles such as Kameo: Elements of Power, and Project Gotham Racing 3, which could not run on the original Xbox, and showed off the new model, Microsoft wanting people of course to upgrade the the new machine, and hence the industry moves forward.

PS3 launched, and had titles such as Resistance: Fall of Man & Ridge Racer 7 to show off the new hardware, also the old machine PS2 could not run them obviously, and again, Sony wanted people to move onto the new machine and again the industry moves forward.

But as I said, Apple don't do this. They like to think they can keep everyone happy and support old hardware for quite a few years.
    Also funnily enough Mac owners are not used to this either. They to are used to relying on Apple to support them in the long term.

Not that this is a bad thing. Though it could potentially slow down progress as your forward movement could theoretically be restrained for fear of upsetting previous gen buying customers.

If Apple had paid a couple of devs to bring out some jaw dropping high end games that pushed the iPad2 on launch day to it's limits, then they are saying to iPad1 customers, we're moving on now, and would like you to upgrade as from now on it's forward onto the new format.

So as I said, they seem like they are sort of stuck. They don't want to upset iPad1 users, but they also want to make the most from iPad2.

Or course, in 12 months we may well have the same again with a, hopefully faster iPad3.

I of course hope all devs make the very most of the new iPad.
    The worst thing is if development it held back due to past systems.

I don't think general apps with be that affected. Twitter clients, home shopping, news, weather, I can't see really causing issues as they don't need power anyway.

Games would naturally be the 1 place where this is going to hit hardest. As a game developer it's all about quality of graphics and speed, and you generally will soak up as much power as is available to you.

I hope we see iPad2 versions, and I also expect higher prices for iPad2 enhanced versions.

As I said in my 1st post, as a dev you would be crazy not working flat out to make iPad2 enhanced software. With the system about to launch, new owners are going to be mad to buy any apps/games that are enhanced to full use your new machine. And high end game would almost be guaranteed to get right into the top10 charts overnight with people eager to see what they new model can do.

5. iPadLad macrumors member

iPadLad

@Piggie - re: "I hope we see iPad2 versions, and I also expect higher prices for iPad2 enhanced versions."

I hope we don't. The beauty of iPad games is that they are cheap and you can own many of them at a time for a fraction of what one game on a big console costs. There are also many indie games made by indie developers that are super interesting. If the iPad 2 (and the later versions) becomes a "professional" gaming platform for professional developers it will drown out the creativity of the indie developers and in turn mobile gaming might lose a bit of its charm.

6. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I don't see many iPad 2 only games happening soon. Developers want their apps to be able to downloaded by as many people as possible. Millions, like myself, won't upgrade for a year or two. The iPad isn't like a cellphone that you upgrade all the time.

7. Mildewy macrumors newbie

Even if they had some games I doubt they would put them in the keynote. They just announced the business thing and more than likely want to avoid the "toy" label, or at least not showcase it...

It's funny because I saw the Xoom commercial and thought how terrible it was to only show a guy playing a video game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZ6NQnIPkU

8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

My point is:

If you make a game that for iPad1, then you will just have to compete with all other games.

If you make a game that takes all the power of iPad2 just to run it, with lots of eye candy. Even if perhaps it's not quite as good as it might be, you could almost guarantee making a million or two as many iPad2 owners will be wanting to buy anything for a dollar or two that shows them what their new device can do when pushed.

If you are one of the 1st devs to produce something like this then you will really stand out from other normal apps.

This said, I do hope many apps get updated to use iPad2 speed.