Ipad2 HDMI to RCA AV Possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sillyrabbitt, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

Hi All

Is there a way to output the ipad to using the hdmi dongle to an RCA Av cable to use with a tv that doesnt have hdmi inputs?

thanks

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

No need for HDMI to RCA as Apple makes a 30 pin to RCA. Here's the link to Apple's store.

link

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's not possible as HDMI is a digital connection and RCA is analogue. You can't use the two together. As already mentioned just get the proprietary RCA adapter.

4. deeddawg macrumors 603

Digital to Analog is simple enough. Just requires some intelligence in the middle somewhere. There is a decent variety of HDMI to 3RCA or VGA converters on the market. The trick would be whether the 30pin dock to HDMI cable provided the HDMI 50ma +5V power signal likely needed to drive the conversion electronics in the "cable". (I'm guessing here; note the Apple Composite AV Cable adapter has a USB plug for power)

You are right though, the cleanest and likely least problematic solution is the purpose-built Apple Composite AV Cable adapter.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I should have clarified that without some form of conversion hardware it's not possible. What I was saying you can't automatically go from a digital to an analogue signal and vice versa without some form of conversion. I was in fact trying to keep my response simple as the dedicated adapter exists and is a more straight forward solution.

6. HazyCloud, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Here's a link to an HDMI to RCA cable at Amazon. I wonder how the 'ol Xbox would look going from HDMI to RCA. ;)

link

7. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

DUh on me! 30 pin to rca is great!! THANKS to all for all the info and the link to the cable. i think i am the one in a hazycloud ;)

thanks

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is a BS cable. Just read the reviews. It doesn't or can't work. You MUST have a D/A converter to have a digital input and an analog out.

9. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I have both the HDMI and Composite (RCA) adapters. I use the composite far more often as those RCA inputs are everywhere. The composite adapter does NOT do display mirroring.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I see that now. :) Thanks.

Thanks for that as well.

11. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got the AV cable when you say it doesnt do mirroring what does that mean?

I want to be able to output the ipad on a tv is that not possible with the AV cable? only the hdmi dongle and hdmi cable?

thanks

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Mirroring means that whatever you see on your iPad, you'll see on the screen. Since the RCAs don't support mirroring, they will only work on apps that support video out like Netflix.

13. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I just figured that out. For some reason i cannot get it to work with the stock video player to output to my portable dvd player. that is what i am trying to do and also when i am traveling output to a tv especially if the tv doesnt support hdmi.

14. HazyCloud, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Your DVD player will need at least 1 video in port. Does it have that? (I know it sounds dumb, but I was thinking it could be some kind of player/screen combo.)

EDIT* After doing some research, it seems it is known issue. Here's a thread on Apple's support page regarding it. Some people had Apple replace them and that fixed it. Others, not so much.

link to Apple's support

Does your DVD player have component inputs (red,blue,green)? If so, you may want to get the component cable instead.

15. sillyrabbitt thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help. It is a dvd player and screen combo and it has a video and audio input r/y/w for rca plug but i couldnt get it to work. i sent the cable back and i give up. i will use the hdmi cable and apple dongle when i can.

i think thats my only option.